< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
City of Seattle buys site of future Volunteer Park in 1876.
HistoryLink.org Essay 3252
: Printer-Friendly Format
In 1876, the City of Seattle buys the site of the future Volunteer Park. Volunteer Park is located on Capitol Hill between E Prospect and E Galer streets and Federal Avenue E and 15th Avenue E. The land is first used as a cemetery, then as a city park. In 1901, the reservoir is built to hold water piped to Seattle from the Cedar River. In 1903, the park is redesigned by the Olmsted Bros. and in 1907 the Volunteer Park water tower is built. In 1933, the Seattle Art Museum opens in Volunteer Park. It is rededicated as the Seattle Asian Art Museum in 1994.
From a Cemetery to the Enjoyment of the Living
In 1876, the city bought 40 acres contiguous to the south of the Masonic Cemetery (later renamed Lake View Cemetery). In 1885, they called it Washelli and started moving bodies over from an old burial ground the city was converting into the first civic park: Denny Park.
Two years later, while Leigh Hunt, editor and publisher of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, was trailblazing along the ridge of what would be called Capitol Hill, he, by his own description, �fell into a deep communion with nature and under the enchanted spell of her visible forms.� Under the influence of this reverie, Hunt next came across the few marked graves at Washelli. Perhaps dreaming of good copy, the editor claimed that a voice came to him demanding �Dispose of the dead elsewhere; this ground is reserved for the enjoyment of the living.�
Promptly the city obeyed the influential publisher. The graves were moved next door to the Lake View Cemetery and the fresh and free acres were held as a reserve for more �deep communion with nature.� The site was eventually named City Park and in 1901, Volunteer Park, to commemorate the patriotic gang of locals who volunteered to fight in the Spanish-American War of 1898-99.
Design and Redesign
A little pruning and planting occurred in the early 1890s under the direction of Edward Otto Schwagerl, the well-thought-of landscape architect hired in 1892. However, the economic panic of 1893 put an end to this work. City Park nested for 10 years more until the Olmsted firm was hired in 1903 to devise a city-wide plan for parks and boulevards.
A reservoir was built in 1901 to hold water piped into Seattle from the Cedar River. The water tower was built in 1907, and a botanical conservatory was added on the park's north end in 1912. John C. Olmsted (1852-1920) opposed the latter and also plans to build a state history museum in the park, which were abandoned.
In the 1930s, the city decided to allow Richard E. Fuller (1897-1976), president of the Art Institute of Seattle, and his mother Margaret (MacTavish) Fuller (1860-1953) locate their Art Institute of Seattle in the park. The Olmsted Brothers firm reiterated John Olmsted's opposition to such institutional uses, and ended its relationship with Seattle soon after.
The museum opened in 1933. It became the Seattle Art Museum, and was rededicated as the Seattle Asian Art Museum in 1994.
Walt Crowley with Paul Dorpat (Photography Editor), National Trust Guide: Seattle (New York: John Wiley & Son, Inc., 1998), 151; Jacqueline Block Williams, The Hill With A Future: Seattle's Capitol Hill, 1900-1946, (Seattle: CPK INK, 2001); Paul Dorpat, "Volunteer Park Voices," Story 86 Seattle Now and Then, Vol. 1, 2nd Edition (Seattle: Tartu Publications, 1984).
Note: This essay was corrected on April 17, 2003.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You