< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Rainier Club (Seattle)
HistoryLink.org Essay 2959
: Printer-Friendly Format
The Rainier Club, Seattle's premier private club, was incorporated as a "gentleman's club" on July 25, 1888, by civic and business leaders including Judge Thomas Burke (1849-1925), W. A. Peters, and E. M. Carr. The original wing of the club building, located on 820 4th Avenue in downtown Seattle, was designed by Kirtland Cutter (1860-1939) and completed in 1904. During the 1960s and 1970s, the private club became non-discriminatory, and continues (in 2012) as a thriving institution with members from all races and both sexes.
Club members first occupied rented rooms in the McNaught mansion on the present site of the downtown public library and later moved to the Seattle Theater building where the Arctic Building now stands.
Spokane-based architect Kirtland Cutter designed the club's first permanent home, which was inspired by the Jacobean style of an English manor house and opened in 1904.
Seattle Architect Carl F. Gould (1873-1939) designed a new south wing in 1929, retaining Cutter's shaped gables while adding a Georgian-style entry and extensive Art Deco interior ornamentation.
Movers and Shakers
Among club membership could be found many of Seattle's civic leaders and prominent figures, including the men of the Blethen family (owners of The Seattle Times); the photographer Edward Curtis (1868-1962), who paid for his membership by taking photographs of club members; and art collectors Dr. Richard Fuller (1897-1976), founder of the Seattle Art Museum, and Horace C. Henry (1844-1928).
In the changing times following the 1960s, membership was opened to women and to persons of color. In 1966, Saburo Nishimuro became the first Japanese American member. In 1978, Luther Carr, a prominent black contractor, became the first African American member and Judge Betty Binns Fletcher (1923-2012) became the first woman member.
The club's exterior was designated by the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Board in 1987, and its interior was renovated in the early 1990s. Access is restricted to club members and their guests.
Walt Crowley, The Rainier Club, 1888-1998 (Seattle: The Rainier Club, 1988).
Note: This essay was updated on October 25, 2012.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You