Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Featured Essay
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
7100 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Husky Stadium collapses on February 25, 1987. Essay 2947 : Printer-Friendly Format

On February 25, 1987, at 10:07 a.m., a section of the Husky Stadium on the University of Washington campus, which is under construction, collapses. It is a 215-foot addition to the bleachers, which becomes, in about 12 seconds, a 250-ton pile of twisted steel.

A Buckle in a Tube

In May 1986, Lydig Construction Company, a 22-year-old firm from Spokane, was awarded the contract to construct the $12.9 million, 13,700-seat addition to Husky Stadium. The steel contractor was Canron Construction Company from Toronto.

By February 25, the first two of nine sections of the addition under construction were nearing completion. At 8:30 a.m. there was a crew of about 40 men working on the structure. At about 9 a.m., an ironworker spotted a buckle in a 28-inch diameter tube that supported the overhanging roof. Supervisor Wally Sharp ordered most of the workers to evacuate the site.

And then it happened.

"Oh My God! The Stadium's Going!"

Mike Lude, Washington Athletic Director, a central figure in proposing the addition to the stadium and in raising funds for it, was concluding a staff meeting in his office overlooking the stadium. From an adjacent office, his secretary, Helen Gulickson, screamed, "Oh my God! The stadium's going!"

Everyone at the meeting jumped up and ran to the windows. They witnessed the 140-high bleachers fall to the ground and become a gigantic mass of twisted metal.

Mike Lude stated he was "a little bit in awe; as he saw the structure start to crumble.  It's kind of like having a new offspring and having something happen to it .... It was unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, but I was seeing it and hearing it."

Recording the Downfall

Another meeting attendee, Chuck Niemi, UW Sports Information Director, said that initially, "Everybody went blank." The first words that broke the silence were a few one-word expletives. After recovering their senses, Mike Lude and the others rushed to the site to find out if there were any injuries or worse.

Meanwhile, that morning photographer John Stamets (1949-2014) had been riding his bicycle past the stadium, and had stopped to take a few pictures. As he was doing so, the stadium began shaking violently and then began its descent. In 12 seconds, by advancing the film by hand, Stamets captured nine pictures of the descent. Thus we have an amazing photographic record of the historic downfall of the Husky Stadium. (Five years after capturing the campus collapse, Stamets joined the faculty there, serving for 22 years as a photographer and lecturer in the UW architecture department.)

"We Ran Like Hell"

The last worker off the structure was painting contractor Ron Toquinto. He was halfway up the structure when his foreman said "Hey, come on down. There's something about this; we want you all out of here."

Toquinto said, "Just as I was walking out from underneath it, it started vibrating then violently shaking. It starting unscrewing itself and folded right to the ground." Again, he stated, "It just started wobbling and fell down like it was the Narrows Bridge or something. When I heard it start to go, we ran like hell."

All the workers got away in time. The only possible fatality was a cat, the ironworkers' mascot. But a few hours later, even the cat was found in the rubble, alive and apparently unharmed.

All Fall Down

While the stadium was under construction, nine guylines (wire cables) were used to support the structure. Six of the guylines were removed too early, which caused the 250 tons of steel to start swaying and then to collapse. Preliminary damage estimates ranged from $500,000 to $1,000,000.

The collapse was a setback. Nevertheless, the stadium addition was completed in time for the football team's first home game of the season on September 5, 1987, Huskies against Stanford. The Huskies won, 31-21.

Seattle Post-Intelligencer, February 26, 1987, p. A-1, A-16, B-3; March 14, 1987, p. A-1, A-4; The Seattle Times February 25, 1987, p. A-1; February 26, 1987, p. A-1, B-1; The [University of Washington] Daily, February 26, 1987, p. 1, 13; Peter Kelley, "Memorial June 15 for UW Photographer, Lecturer John Stamets," University of Washington website accessed June 12, 2014 (
Note: This essay was corrected and updated on June 12, 2014.

Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Sports | Curiosities |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

Wreckage of north stands of Husky Stadium, February 25, 1987
Courtesy Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.

Husky Stadium collapse in progress, February, 25, 1987
Photo by John Stamets, copyright © John Stamets, 1987

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email