Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6826 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Contract for construction of Cedar River Pipeline Number One awarded on April 19, 1899.

HistoryLink.org Essay 2166 : Printer-Friendly Format

On April 19, 1899, the City of Seattle lets a contract for Cedar River Pipeline Number One. The contract, prepared by City Engineer R. H. Thomson (1856-1949), calls for a complete water system running from Cedar River to reservoirs in Seattle. The total bid for the contract is $1,203,912.03.

The contract had four subdivisions. Subdivision One was for the headworks on Cedar River, intake, intake canal, settling basin, gatehouse, a dwelling for the dam keeper, a horse stable, and the transmission pipeline into Seattle.

Subdivision Two was for the Volunteer Park and Lincoln Park reservoirs, gatehouses, and a pumping plant. Subdivision Three was for the 318,000-gallon capacity standpipe on Queen Anne Hill, along with a force main from the Lincoln Park reservoir to the standpipe. Subdivision Four was for a pipeline connecting Lincoln Park to the distribution system.

Dimensions and Path

Pipeline from the headworks to Volunteer Park was 42-inch pressure pipe. From Volunteer Park to Lincoln Park, 36-inch pipe was used. The entire system included six miles of 42-inch steel pipe, one mile of 36-inch steel pipe, and 22.5 miles of 42-inch wooden stave pipe.

From the settling basin near the dam at Landsburg, the pipeline ran 13.5 miles to Renton, generally following the ridge along the left bank of the Cedar River. From there, it ran 8.5 miles to Seattle, entering the city near Spokane Street and Beacon Avenue. It ran along Beacon Avenue to 14th Avenue S, then to Holgate Street, then along 13th Avenue S to Judkins Street. From there, it ran along 12th Avenue, all the way to Volunteer Park.

Sources:
Mary McWilliams, Seattle Water Department History 1854-1954 (City of Seattle: Dogwood Press, 1955), 63-66.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Infrastructure | Government & Politics | Technology | Washington Rivers |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Rivers In Time Project
King County
Seattle Public Utilities
Seattle City Light


City Engineer and hill-hater R. H. Thomson (1851-1949)



Assembling the woodstave pipe which was installed to carry Cedar River water to Seattle, 1899
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org