< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Georgetown authorized to receive Seattle water on May 20, 1903.
HistoryLink.org Essay 2103
: Printer-Friendly Format
On May 20, 1903, Ordinance 9674 authorizes Seattle to enter into a contract to furnish water to the Georgetown Water Company. Agreements are also made for placing hydrants in the community.
A year later, Ordinance 10883 provided free water to King County for sprinkling the county road between the City of Seattle and The Meadows racetrack from June 1 to October 1. By 1905, the agreement also included the road south of the racetrack.
In 1910, Georgetown was annexed to Seattle. Along with the annexation, Seattle received Georgetown’s water system, with 12,300 feet of pipe. Seattle also received a concrete reservoir of 250,000 gallons capacity located near Graham and Gould streets.
Mary McWilliams, Seattle Water Department History 1854-1954 (City of Seattle: Dogwood Press, 1955), 18-21.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You