Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Art Museum opens in Volunteer Park on June 23, 1933.

HistoryLink.org Essay 2082 : Printer-Friendly Format

On June 23, 1933, the Seattle Art Museum opens in Volunteer Park. Richard E. Fuller (1897-1976), president of the Art Institute of Seattle, and his mother Margaret (MacTavish) Fuller (1860-1953) present the museum to the City of Seattle as a gift. The Fullers pay for the building and the City provides maintenance and utilities. The Art Institute of Seattle manages art activities.

The museum had its origins in the Seattle Fine Arts Society (organized 1905) and the Washington Arts Association (organized 1906). These two groups merged in 1917 into the Art Institute of Seattle. The Art Institute housed its collection in Henry House, former home on Capitol Hill of the collector and founder of the Henry Art Gallery, Horace C. Henry (1844-1928). Fuller was active in the Art Institute and became president in 1931. The museum in Volunteer Park was designed by Carl F. Gould (1873-1939) head of the University of Washington's School of Architecture and principal architect of the University's "college gothic" buildings.

In December 1991, the museum opened a new building in downtown Seattle at 1st Avenue and University Street. The Volunteer Park museum became the Seattle Asian Art Museum.

Sources:
Richard E. Fuller, A Gift to the City: A History of the Seattle Art Museum (Seattle: Seattle Art Museum, 1993).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Visual Arts | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Seattle Art Museum, Volunteer Park (Carl Gould, 1933), 1940s
Postcard


Richard Fuller (1897-1976)



 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org