Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6825 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Slide Show Illustrations

<< Back to Start | < Previous Slide | Next Slide >

Frame 13 of 14

Rural Everett and Marysville

In 1863 Eugene D. Smith, his wife, Margaret, and her parents, Martin and Olive Getchell, began creating Lowell, a town they platted but never incorporated, on the west bank of the Snohomish River. Lowell is now a neighborhood of Everett. Industrial development in the 1890s boom that built Everett brought great changes to Lowell, with the addition of a paper mill that would last into the 1970s. There are still a number of working farms along the old Lowell-Larimer Road that runs to Snohomish, as well as on the flats east of Everett off of Highway 2.
 
Getchell Ranch
3914 52nd Street SE, Everett
Centennial Farm and State Heritage Barn

Situated on the east bank of the Snohomish River across from Everett's Lowell neighborhood, an 1880-1882 farmhouse built by Martin and Olive Getchell, still stands on Getchell Ranch. The Getchells figure prominently in the early development of Snohomish County. Granddaughter Ruth Alexander built a newer house on the land, and her son Alex Alexander now (2011) lives on the property and raises cattle. The Getchell Ranch is the oldest intact farm in the Snohomish River Valley. Alexander has renovated both the old farmhouse and the gambrel-roofed barn, built in 1926-1927.

Johnson Farm/Jackknife Ranch and Johnson Barn
5205 52nd Street SE, Everett
Centennial Farm and State Heritage Barn

Iver and Caroline Johnson homesteaded here in 1887. They raised cattle, poultry, and pigs and grew hay, fruit and vegetables. Over the years, they expanded their farm to 400 acres, clearing and diking where necessary as the farm is in the Snohomish River flood plain. Bob Johnson and his wife, Laura, once gave educational farm tours but later converted their business to a U-Pick produce farm. The Johnson Barn was awarded a state grant of $11,900 in 2010 that has allowed the owners to put on a new roof. The farm is also called Jackknife Ranch due to its proximity to the Jackknife Bridge, a Strauss-designed bascule railroad bridge. Once on the National Register of Historic Places, the bridge has since been torn down.

Walther Barn (Craven Dairy)
5332 Lowell-Larimer Road, Everett
State Heritage Barn

Bernard Walther was the farm's original owner and reportedly built this barn ca. 1890 to house dairy cattle. It has board and batten siding, mortise and tenon joinery, and a gable roof. Bernard deeded the property to his wife, Luiza, in 1890 and it was later deeded to their children, Rudolph, Clara, and Luise. In the 1930s the property was transferred to Carl Hansen who sold it to Al, Larry, and William Craven. Craven Dairy owned the property from 1960 to 2000. Today (2011) it is owned by Larry Jensen and used for agriculture.

Weiser Barn (Heineck Farm)
930 Sunnyside Boulevard NE, Everett
State Heritage Barn

Howard Weiser purchased this farm in 1925 to grow fresh vegetables for his restaurant at the Monte Cristo Hotel in downtown Everett. Around 1930 he built this Dutch-style gambrel barn with horizontal wood siding and a hay hood. The Weiser farm continued under several owners and was purchased in 1964 by Joe and Catherine Heineck. Joe Heineck, a Boeing employee, owns and manages the farm today (2011) with help from his grandchildren.

Nelson Farm (Lavender Hills)
Kellogg Marsh, Marysville
Centennial Farm

Today the business called Lavender Hills is located on a Centennial Farm that was founded by Lars and Netta Nilson and their four children. The Nilsons raised livestock, vegetables, and fruit. Son Adolph became the next owner, and he changed the spelling of the family name to Nelson. Seeking a new direction for the farm business, granddaughter Carol McCrorie and her husband, Mike, went into lavender production. Although the farm is not open to the public, Lavender Hill Farms participates in local garden events.

<< Back to Start | < Previous Slide | Next Slide >


Getchell Ranch and heritage barn, Everett, November 14, 2011
HistoryLink.org Photo by Margaret Riddle


Johnson heritage barn, Johnson Farm/Jackknife Ranch, Everett, November 14, 2011
HistoryLink.org Photo by Margaret Riddle


Walther heritage barn, Craven Dairy, Everett, n.d.
Courtesy Washington State Department of Archaeology and Historic Preservation


Weiser heritage barn, Heineck Farm, Everett, November 8, 2011
HistoryLink.org Photo by Margaret Riddle


Nelson Farm (Lavender Hills), Marysville, n.d.
Courtesy Lavender Farm

 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org