Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6871 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

National Lumber Manufacturers Association begins its annual convention at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition on July 12, 1909.

HistoryLink.org Essay 8866 : Printer-Friendly Format

On July 12, 1909, the National Lumber Manufacturers Association (a federation of associations representing the forest and building products industries) convenes at the Hoo-Hoo House at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition for its annual convention.   The delegates hear a speech touting the importance of conservation and reforestation, and approve a resolution declaring that odd as well as even lengths of lumber shall be the standard in the manufacture of all lumber used for building materials. The convention attracts approximately 600 powerful and affluent attendees from all over the United States.

Lumber and Conservation  

The National Lumber Manufacturers Association was a federation of regional associations, formed in 1902 to provide a national association to represent the forest and building products industries. By 1909 it had grown to include a dozen regional associations representing some of the most powerful lumber manufacturers in the country.  The association had some common membership with another national lumber association, the American Paper Institute, which represented pulp, paper, and paperboard manufacturers.

The seventh annual convention of the National Lumber Manufacturer’s Association convened at the Hoo-Hoo House on the morning of July 12, 1909, and the attendees were welcomed by A-Y-P president J. E. Chilberg (1867-1954) and Seattle mayor John Miller.  The remainder of the day’s meeting was devoted to officer reports, and to a speech by R. S. Kellogg of the U.S. Forest Service. Kellogg cited statistics showing that total lumber production in the United States had declined 17 percent between 1907 and 1908, and noted that “lumbermen have for years destroyed, but not produced” (The Seattle Daily Times, July 12, 1909). Pointing out that overconsumption of forests was becoming a serious danger, Kellogg told the gathering that the time had come for conservation and reforestation.  

Kellogg’s speech was among the early calls for lumber conservation and reforestation in the United States, but it would be some time before this translated into action. By the early 1920s some foresters were predicting that the American supply of mature timber would disappear by the end of the twentieth century if no action was taken. During the 1920s and 1930s Washington state took some steps toward reforestation, but it was the 1940s when the first large-scale efforts took place in the state.  In 1941 the Weyerhaeuser Timber Company dedicated the 130,000-acre Clemons Tree Farm, the nation’s first, in Montesano (Grays Harbor County); this was followed by the enactment of Washington state’s first forest-practices act in 1946, which required loggers and landowners to replace trees they cut down.

Odd Lengths

The 600 or so visiting delegates and other lumbermen received a unique convention program.  The eight-page document was printed on sheets of cedar; its pages were bound together with strips of leather to make a small book. The book came in handy, because the third day of the gathering featured a reading of no less than nine papers (presumably related to lumber issues) in the Fine Arts Building.

But it was the second day of the convention that brought big bucks to the affair. Observers estimated that the collective wealth of those attending the morning session at the Hoo-Hoo House was a quarter of a billion dollars, equating to between $4 and $5 billion in today’s (2008) dollars -- “probably the wealthiest gathering in Seattle on record,” reported The Seattle Daily Times.

The day’s business featured the approval of a resolution declaring that odd as well as even lengths of lumber would be the standard in the manufacture of flooring, ceiling, siding, and other building materials; as a result the meeting became informally known by some as the “odd lengths” conference.  The meeting then adjourned early so delegates could go to Tacoma to attend the funeral of U.S. Congressman Francis Cushman (1867-1909). That evening the lumbermen held a reception and dance in the Washington State Building, attended by various political and lumber dignitaries.

In 1965 the National Lumber Manufacturers Association was renamed the National Forest Products Association.  In 1993 the American Forest and Paper Association was formed to represent the interests of both the National Forest Products Association and the American Paper Institute in one national trade association on behalf of the U.S. forest products industry.

Sources:
HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, “Washington Forest Protection Association (WFPA) --  Policy Actions 1908-2008” (by Phil Dougherty), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed December 2, 2008); “Must Protect Forests Now,” The Seattle Daily Times, July 12, 1909, pp. 1-2; “Lumbermen Now In City Worth Millions,” Ibid., July 13, 1909, p. 4; American Forest & Paper Association, website accessed December 1, 2008 (http://www.afandpa.org/).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: A-Y-P Exposition |

Related Topics: Industry | Organizations |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Washington State Department of Community, Trade & Economic Development


Hoo-Hoo House (Ellsworth Storey, 1909), A-Y-P Exposition, Seattle, 1909
Photo by Frank H. Nowell, Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. Nowell x2805, Image No. AYP086)


Hoo-Hoo House (detail) with leaping cats (Ellsworth Storey, 1909), A-Y-P Exposition, Seattle, 1909
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. UW1946, Image No. AYP445)


Program for National Lumber Manufacturers Association, Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, July 12-15, 1909
Courtesy Dan Kerlee


Program for National Lumber Manufacturers Association, Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition, July 12-15, 1909
Courtesy Dan Kerlee


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org