< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
The automobile ferry City of Edmonds makes its first run from Edmonds across Puget Sound to Kingston on May 20, 1923.
HistoryLink.org Essay 8544
: Printer-Friendly Format
On Sunday morning, May 20, 1923, the automobile ferry City of Edmonds makes its first run from Edmonds to Kingston, inaugurating a new route across Puget Sound. As regular service begins, the ferry is "exceptionally well patronized" by both walk-on passengers and automobiles (Edmonds Tribune-Review, May 25, 1923). Within a few weeks an additional route across Hood Canal will make automobile traffic possible directly from Edmonds to the Olympic Peninsula.
A Sturdy Boat
In future days a schedule of three runs each way on weekdays and six on Saturdays and Sundays were in effect at a rate of $1.50 each way for car and driver and $2.50 round trip and 25 cents for passengers each way. Constructed and operated by the Joyce Brothers Ferry Company, the vessel, launched the previous month, was described as a "sturdy boat, 65 feet in length, with a carrying capacity of twelve to fourteen cars and 76 passengers" (Edmonds Tribune-Review, May 11, 1923).
The inaugural run came four days after the original celebration of the opening of the ferry run, which was delayed when inspectors found it necessary to make corrections to the boat. The celebration had been scheduled for Wednesday, May 16, and events went ahead that day despite the stated reason for the delay and inclement weather.
Celebrating at Kingston
About 600 Edmonds residents sailed to Kingston on a hastily acquired launch that made several runs across the waters along with a small Kingston launch that towed the ferry’s lifeboat. Nothing deterred the celebration at the Kingston park where local officials were present, barbequed beef and hot coffee were enjoyed, the Edmonds Park Band entertained, and a baseball game was played. That evening a dance was held at Kingston’s Woodman Hall, and Edmonds residents promised to host a similar celebration in the near future. For the return journey, a freighter was pressed into service.
These events culminated longtime actions to connect the two sides of Puget Sound with auto ferries. Up until this time, small passenger boats, customarily dubbed “the mosquito fleet,” carried passengers and cargo amongst many waterfront communities. The increased number of automobiles created a new need for cross-sound transportation. In October 1922, the Edmonds City Council granted a lease to allow the Joyce Brothers of Mukilteo to use part of the city wharf as a ferry dock, thus leading to regular service between Edmonds and Kingston.
Edmonds Tribune-Review, May 11, 18, 25; Ibid., June 8, 1923; Ray V. Cloud, Edmonds, the Gem of Puget Sound: A History of the City of Edmonds (Edmonds: Edmonds Tribune-Review Press, 1953).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Washington State Ferries |
Roads & Rails |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You