< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Schmitz Park Bridge in West Seattle is completed in December 1936.
HistoryLink.org Essay 8438
: Printer-Friendly Format
In December 1936, the new Schmitz Park Bridge in West Seattle is completed. It is an innovative concrete-box structure with Art Deco touches designed by Seattle city engineer Clark Eldridge. The 175-foot bridge spans a deep ravine within Schmitz Park and replaces an aging timber-truss bridge.
The new bridge was constructed with concrete-box cells, which reduced the bridge's dead load (the weight of the structure itself) and created a rigid frame that was 60 percent longer than any such bridge previously constructed.
The bridge was built for $134,000, with the funds provided by the federal Public Works Administration and by local gas-tax and highway funds.
Schmitz Park was donated to Seattle between 1908 and 1912. The greatest part, consisting of 30 acres, was donated by Ferdinand (b. 1861) and Emma (Althoff) Schmitz. The couple wanted to preserve a bit of old-growth forest, and although part of the park was logged, Schmitz Park does preserve some never-logged forest. Ferdinand served on the Park Board from 1908 and 1914.
Craig Holstein and Richard Hobbs, Spanning Washington: Historic Highway Bridges of the Evergreen State (Pullman: WSU Press, 2005), 158; date of completion estimated from construction photos in Seattle Municipal Archives (http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~public/phot1.htm); "Schmitz Preserve Park," Seattle Parks and Recreation website accessed December 25, 2007 (http://www.seattle.gov/parks/park_detail.asp?ID=465); Friends of Schmitz Park website accessed December 25, 2007 (http://www.schmitzpark.org/about_us.htm).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Roads & Rails |
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You