Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6849 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Duncan Hunter files a homestead claim in the future Lynnwood on April 22, 1889.

HistoryLink.org Essay 8202 : Printer-Friendly Format

On April 22, 1889, Duncan Hunter, a native of Scotland and a stonemason, files a homestead claim to 80 acres of dense forest in south Snohomish County. The claim sits astride what will become the North Trunk Road, later 36th Avenue SW.  Hunter is the first non-Indian resident of the future Lynnwood.

Duncan Hunter immigrated to the United States from Scotland in 1881 and found work as a stonemason in the red granite quarries of Montello, Wisconsin. He married Jennie Stephenson in 1886 and they had two children. Hunter quit the quarries and tried his had at running a boarding house, but found that not to his taste. He went west and in 1889 filed his claim to 80 acres of federal land in Snohomish County. Under the Homestead Act of 1863 he could gain title to the land if he occupied it for five years and improved it. Hunter built a log cabin in the woods and two years later summoned his wife and children. They traveled by railroad to Seattle, then by steamer to Edmonds. Hunter met them at the wharf and drove them in a wagon across a rough trail to the cabin.

Since the land was still forested, Hunter could not grow much in the way of crops. He sought employment in his old trade as a stonemason and in logging camps and lumber mills. By 1895, the Hunters had four more children, but young daughter Jennie died in 1897 and the parents buried her on the claim. Eventually Hunter sold the trees on the land and planted apples, cherries, and berries. In 1914, he built a two-story frame home. 

The Hunter marriage did not last and in 1926 the couple divided their property.  When Snohomish County wanted to build a road through the claim, Hunter refused because of his daughter's grave and for many years the North Trunk Road showed a dogleg around the plot. After Hunter's death in 1935, his sons inherited the land. Jennie's grave was moved and the road was straightened.

Surviving son Basil Hunter refused all offers by the City of Lynnwood to sell his mother's land for a park. Basil distrusted all forms of government and he regarded the encroaching suburb of Lynnwood as "breeding pens" (Broom, 12). His will blocked any use of the land for park because "parks encourage idleness" (Broom, 13). Basil died in 1982 and he left what was left of his family's land to Planned Parenthood of King County. The agency developed it as an apartment complex, a medical clinic, and a convalescent home. The apartment developers created the 2.5-acre Pioneer Park to honor the Hunter family.

Sources:
Judith M. Broom, Lynnwood: The Land, The People, The City (Seattle: Peanut Butter Press, 1990), 9-13.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Pioneers |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Henry M. Jackson Foundation
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org