< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Douglass-Truth Branch of The Seattle Public Library reopens after remodel and expansion on October 14, 2006.
HistoryLink.org Essay 8032
: Printer-Friendly Format
On October 14, 2006, the Douglass-Truth Branch of The Seattle Public Library reopens after a $6.8 million remodel and expansion. The branch remains the largest of what will be 27 branches in the Seattle system and is home to more than 9,000 items focused on African American history and culture.
In 1998, Seattle voters approved the $196.4 million Libraries for All levy, which provided for remodeling all 22 of the city’s branches, a new central library, and five new branches. Douglass-Truth, originally built in 1914 as the Yesler Branch at 23rd Avenue E and E Yesler Way, was slated to double in size to more than 16,000 square feet and 67,000 books and other items.
The firm of Schacht-Aslani Architects prepared a design with additions to both sides of the original Renaissance-Revival structure. Neighborhood residents and The Seattle Public Library Board of Trustees expressed concern that the proposed additions dwarfed the former Henry Yesler Library, a designated historic landmark. To accommodate the need for expanded space, the architects decided to excavate a large sunken chamber.
The second design placed the new addition entirely on the east side with the reading room below grade level and meeting rooms above. At night, the copper-clad light monitor serves symbolically as a lantern. The old east wall became part of the stairway down to the new main reading room.
The solution did not satisfy all critics, but Lawrence Cheek observed in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, “the seven-ton curving steel staircase radiates so much presence that it practically qualifies as sculpture, and the bright, open reading space under the light well -- the ceiling soars 24 to 29 feet high -- makes the library feel much larger than it is. There's no sensation of being buried, as in almost every other subterranean library addition" (Seattle Post-Intelligencer).
The old reading room became the children’s room. To reproduce exactly the 1914-era beige paint, Architect Walter Schecht retained a paint archaeologist from Vancouver, B.C., to find a match.
David Bowermaster, “Check Out the Historic New Library; Douglass-Truth Branch's Remodeling Complete,” The Seattle Times, October 15, 2006, p. B-1; Debera Carlton Harrell, “Library Brightens Up Its History; Central Area Branch Reopens Today With More Space And Light, And A Bigger Collection,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer, October 14, 2006, p. B-1; Lawrence Cheek, “A Question of Symmetry,” Ibid., November 2, 2006, C-1.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
The Seattle Public Library |
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Black Americans |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You