William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Fire destroys the Snohomish County Courthouse in Everett on August 2, 1909.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7889 : Printer-Friendly Format

At 3 p.m. on August 2, 1909, sparks from the J. K. Healy blacksmith shop at 3014 Wetmore Avenue in Everett ignite a pile of loose hay on the floor below. The wooden building is soon fully aflame. A strong northwest wind spreads the fire quickly and damages the Wetmore Avenue fire station, located only a few feet away. Fire next engulfs buildings of Everett Livery and Transfer Company, the Northern Transfer Company, and the Iles and Newman Carriage Works and finally ignites moss on the wood shingle roof of the Snohomish County courthouse. In a few hours all are ruins.

Too Little Water, Too Few Men

After the fire started, calls for help were made to neighborhood fire stations and firefighters reported for duty, but there was insufficient water and too few men to do the job.  Firefighters from Snohomish, Marysville, and Seattle Fire Departments come to aid, but their help arrived too late. 

Courthouse workers scrambled to secure courthouse records, placing them in fireproof vaults as the fire burned from upper to lower stories.  They succeeded in saving county records and the courthouse annex, but the courthouse itself was destroyed.

As evening approached, firefighters had contained the devastating blaze but were soon battling a string of arson fires.  They were called to a burning barn near Hewitt and Hoyt avenues, then to a fire at the Wellington Saloon.  A stable was set on fire, as well as a row of frame buildings in Everett’s business district.  Fearing the worst, Fire Chief W. Jay Kingsley planned to dynamite a threatened hotel to end the flames.  Luckily the wind shifted. Finally the firefighters were able to control the fire.

Aftermath

August 3rd was Snohomish County Day at the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific (A-Y-P) Exposition, and many Everett residents had planned to attend.  They had constructed 50 replica smokestacks to be carried in a parade, but most were never used.  Everett’s participation was understandably small at the A-Y-P Exposition that day, since many citizens had spent the night guarding their town.

In the final toll, 12 buildings were lost and three damaged.  Only about half the losses were covered by insurance.  Several suspects were questioned as possible arsonists, but no charges were made.  Investigation following the fire led to changes for the Everett Fire Department.  During a decade of rapid population growth in Everett, fire department pleas for a larger crew and better equipment previously had been ignored.  Now reality mandated the changes.

Architect August Heide (1862-1943), designer of the original courthouse, was hired to draw plans for a new building.  Retaining three surviving arches from the burned structure, Heide designed the new courthouse in Mission Style.  During its construction, courthouse business operated out of the small courthouse annex.  The new Snohomish County Courthouse opened in 1910.  It is currently on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sources:
Everett Herald, August 3, 4, and 5, 1909; Charles Z. Henderson, "The Courthouse Blaze," The Fire Boys: 100 Years of Everett Firefighting History (Virginia Beach: The Donning Company, 1992), 63-64; Wm. Whitfield, History of Snohomish County Washington (Chicago: Pioneer Historical Publishing Company, 1926), 176.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


Everett Engine Company 2 and mascot in front of Snohomish County Courthouse (August Heide), 1909
Photo by John A. Juleen, Courtesy Everett Public Library (File J810)


Snohomish County Courthouse ablaze, August 2, 1909
Photo by John A. Juleen, Courtesy Everett Public Library (File 0261)


Aftermath of Snohomish County Courthouse fire, 1909
Courtesy Everett Public Library (File BLG28)


Snohomish County Courthouse (August Heide, 1910), 1910
Courtesy Everett Public Library (BLG35)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org