< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Goldendale becomes the seat of Klickitat County on November 5, 1878.
HistoryLink.org Essay 7779
: Printer-Friendly Format
On November 5, 1878, Klickitat County residents vote to move the county seat from its temporary location on a farm near Rockland Flats to the recently established town of Goldendale. Despite opposition from cattle ranchers reluctant to endorse any increase in town life or fenced farming at the expense of the open range, the measure passes with a four-fifths majority.
The Washington Territorial Legislature established Alfred Allen's farm near Rockland Flats across the Columbia River from The Dalles, Oregon, as Klickitat County's first county seat on December 20, 1859. This location was considered temporary, however, as there were too few people residing in the county for the Territorial Legislature to determine any permanent site at the time.
In the late 1850s, Mortimer Thorp (1822-1894) used the land that would become Goldendale as grazing land for cattle, also building a house and fencing property. Thorp never acquired title to the land, however, and soon abandoned it to move to the Yakima Valley. Lyonel J. Kimberland then filed a soldier's homestead claim on the land. Soldier's claims were a special provision under the United States Homestead Act of 1862 relating to the homestead rights of soldiers who had served in the Union Army during the Civil War.
On August 15, 1871, John J. Golden (1826-1906) bought the land from Kimberland. He hired a surveyor to plat the town of Goldendale, and filed plat maps with the county auditor on March 13, 1872. Thomas Johnson immediately built a house in the infant town, operating a store out of his front room. Although not the first store in Klickitat County it was the only one in operation at the time and thus became a nucleus for settlement. As settlement in Goldendale increased, it became obvious that Rockland Flats was not the most convenient location for Klickitat County's county seat.
On May 8, 1872, Klickitat County commissioners decided to put the question of moving the county seat from Allen's farm to the new town to county residents during the next general election. Although Goldendale was the only town in the county, it was by no means a shoe-in. An Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties, With An Outline Of The Early History of The State Of Washington, published in 1904, explains:
"From the first Goldendale, being in the midst of one of the best agricultural sections of the county, was considered to represent the farming interest of the district and was strongly opposed by the stockmen. Although the largest number of the voting population was in the valley, and it would have been in their own immediate interests to have Goldendale the county seat, still the influence of the cattlemen was sufficiently strong to defeat it, although by a narrow margin. The vote stood seventy-seven for Goldendale and seventy-eight for Rockland" (p. 101).
Early Goldendale boosters fought back by laying out as many county roads as possible leading to Goldendale in order to ensure the town's importance. An Illustrated History ... continues:
"This was accomplished without the opposition's even suspecting its object, and Goldendale, being made easily accessible from almost all parts of the county, soon became quite an important business point. When finally Representative Nelson Whitney succeeded in getting a bill through the legislature allowing a three-fifths vote to settle the question, Goldendale had very much the best of it" (p. 102).
The question was decided on November 5, 1878. Five-sixths of the votes were in favor of Goldendale. By February 1879, all county property had been moved to Goldendale and county offices were open for business. On November 14, 1879, John Golden donated title to land on which the county could erect a courthouse. Settlers, unwilling to burden the still sparsely settled county with a construction debt, raised $3,500 in private funds and built a courthouse with a two-cell jail. A fire destroyed this structure along with seven full blocks of Goldendale on May 13, 1888.
An Illustrated History of Klickitat, Yakima and Kittitas Counties, With An Outline Of The Early History of The State Of Washington (Evansville, Indiana: Unigraphic,  1977), p. 101; Jim Atwell, Early History of Klickitat County (Skamania, WA: Tahlkie Books, 1977); History of Klickitat County ed. by Pete May (Goldendale: Klickitat County Historical Society, 1982), p. 14; "John J. Golden Is Dead," The Klickitat County Agriculturist, October 20, 1906, p. 3; "Homestead Act of 1862," Homestead National Monument of America, National Parks Service website accessed May 23, 2006
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You
This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation
Main Street looking east from Columbus Avenue, pre-1888 fire, Goldendale, April 1, 1885
Courtesy The History of Klickitat County, Washington
Old Klickitat County Blockhouse, 1856, moved to Courthouse Square, Goldendale, ca. 1930
Courtesy Early Klickitat Valley Days
Grandstand, Klickitat County Fair, Goldendale, ca.1890
Courtesy Early Klickitat Valley Days