< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Steamship Alameda crashes into Seattle's Colman Dock on April 25, 1912.
HistoryLink.org Essay 766
: Printer-Friendly Format
On April 25, 1912, on the Seattle waterfront, the Alaska Steamship liner Alameda rams the Colman Dock, topples the dock's clock tower, sinks the stern wheel steamboat Telegraph, and injures five women. Colman Dock (today the Washington State Ferries dock) is located in Elliott Bay in Seattle between Madison and Marion streets.
Engine Room Error
The tragedy struck shortly before 10:30 p.m., just after the
Alameda had taken on a load of fuel at the Standard Oil dock in the East
Waterway. As the steamship approached
Pier 2, Captain John A. O'Brien (1851-1931) ordered full speed astern, but Second Assistant Engineer Robert Bunton mistook
the signal for full speed ahead. The vessel zoomed past Pier 2 and bore down on
Colman Dock. Captain O'Brien realized the engine room error almost immediately
and ordered the anchors out in hopes of slowing the vessel.
Over a dozen people were inside the Colman Dock waiting
room, biding their time until the next ferry arrived. Some read newspapers, looking
at the latest stories about the Titanic,
which had sunk in the north Atlantic 10 days earlier. Police Patrolman O. J. Larsen
stood at the end of the wharf, looking out over the water.
Seeing that the Alameda
was heading towards Colman Dock at full speed, Larsen ran through the waiting
room, shouting the alarm. The waiting passengers looked out the big windows and
saw the Alameda heading straight for
them. As they ran back through the building, the Alameda struck hard, splintering wood and sending shards of glass
As the vessel tore through the dock, the great clock tower
above the waiting room came crashing down, directly on
top of the steamer's bow. This slowed the vessel, but did not stop it. As the Alameda ripped through the dock's
wreckage, it plowed directly into the sternwheeler Telegraph, which was docked in the north slip. The Telegraph's crew jumped to safety as
their ship was split almost in half. Within 15 minutes, the Telegraph sank below the waves, in eight
fathoms of water. The Alameda ended
up near the Grand Trunk Dock, 600 feet north of Colman Dock.
Inside Colman Dock, help was given to the injured. One woman
broke her ankle while trying to escape while others suffered cuts and bruises
from flying glass and splinters. Outside, searchers looked in the waters to rescue
anyone who had fallen in.
The Ferry Sioux,
which had slowed its course to allow the Alameda
to pass, dropped lifeboats into the water to search the wreckage for injured
persons. Had the Sioux arrived at the
dock five minutes earlier, it would have been in the path of the Alameda, endangering the lives of its 60
The next day, crowds thronged to the waterfront to survey
the damage. The clock tower, which had rolled of the top of the Alameda, was
now floating out in Elliott Bay. Tugs hauled it over to the beach at West
Seattle in the hopes that the clock could be repaired.
Over $50,000 of damage was done to Colman Dock, and work
started almost immediately on repairs. Amazingly, the Alameda suffered only
$900 in damage, and after a few hours of repairs, the ship sailed for Alaska,
only 12 hours behind schedule. The Telegraph was raised and later repaired. Its
owners sued the owners of the Alameda for $55,000 in damages, but received only
Cheers and Jeers
Captain O'Brien was praised for his efforts in saving the
Alameda, noting that if he had not ordered the anchors dropped, the steamer
could have heavily damaged the Grand Trunk also. Fellow captain Howard Bullene,
master of the steamer Santa Ana told The Seattle Times, "If the navigator of the wrecked Titanic had exhibited
half the presence of mind of Captain O'Brien, the most frightful accident in
maritime history would have been averted" (The Seattle Times, April 29, 1912).
Full blame for the accident fell on Second Assistant
Engineer Robert Bunton and Third Assistant Engineer Guy Can Winter (1884-1940). Bunton had his license suspended for two months, and Van Winter had his
suspended for 30 days. Federal investigators declared that they were unable to
understand how the two men could have lapsed so far into apparent apathy that
they couldn't notice their error until it was too late.
The Colman Clock, built in 1908, was repaired and replaced
in a new tower at Colman Dock. The clock was taken down in 1936 when Colman
Dock was rebuilt, and was put into storage. There it remained for years until
being rediscovered in 1976. It was restored in 1984 and placed back on the
dock. Today (2012) the clock sits near the street side of the ferry terminal, still
"Steamship Alameda Smashes Colman Dock and Sinks
Post-Intelligencer, April 26, 1912, pp. 1-2; "Mistake in Orders on
Alameda Wrecks Dock and Sinks Telegraph," The Seattle Times, April 26, 1912, pp. 1, 7; "Crowds Throng
Piers to View Wrecked Dock," Seattle
Post-Intelligencer, April 27, 1912, p. 2; "Error in Engine Room Sent
Steamship into Colman Dock," Seattle
Post-Intelligencer, April 27, 1912, p. 2; "Prompt Act on Part of Pilot
Praised," The Seattle Times,
April 29, 1912, p. 14; "Sunken Steamship Towed to Mud Flat, "The Seattle Times, May 2, 1912, p.
18; "Steamship Alameda is Libeled for $55,000," The Seattle Times, May 11, 1912, p. 19; "Inspectors Condemn
Alameda's Engineers," The Seattle
Times, May 19, 1912, p. 30; "Market Value of Ships Fluctuates," The Seattle Times, February 3, 1914, p.
16; Dock Clock -- It’s Going to Tell the Time Again after 49 Years,” Seattle
Post-Intelligencer, May 16, 1985, p. D-1.
Note: This essay replaces an earlier essay on the same subject.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You
This essay made possible by:
Joshua Green Foundation
Colman Dock (Beezer Brothers, 1908), 1908
Courtesy Waterfront Awareness
S.S. Alameda, Alaska, n.d.
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. UW7594)
Aftermath of the Colman Dock, smashed by the Alameda, April 25, 1912
Colman Dock's first dock tower after collision of Alameda, Seattle, April 25, 1912
Sternwheeler Telegraph, 1900s