< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Lower Columbia Junior College opens in Longview on October 2, 1934.
HistoryLink.org Essay 7481
: Printer-Friendly Format
On October 2, 1934, Lower Columbia Junior College opens in Longview just five months after the first meetings to explore the necessity for post-secondary education in Cowlitz and Wahkiakum counties. Fifty-three students attend classes in rooms rented from R. A. Long High School. Classes will move to the Longview library in 1940 and onto a dedicated campus in 1950.
When R. A. Long (1850-1934), the founder of Longview, donated a high school to his planned city, the plans included a junior college. The worldwide depression of the 1930s affected Cowlitz County, where young people were unemployed and had few skills to obtain jobs. The Kiwanis wrote to groups and individuals in Cowlitz and Wahkiakum Counties announcing a meeting on May 5, 1934, to determine whether there was a need for a junior college. One hundred and fifty people attended the meeting, endorsed the idea, and began planning. Committees established tuition levels and estimated the costs of a college, where it should be located, and the curriculum.
A week later, backers met again and elected a board of regents. The regents' first act was to name the institution Lower Columbia Junior College. The Business and Professional Women visited more than 30 club meetings to drum and strum up support (on their ukuleles with tunes like "Yes, We'll Have a College") and to raise the $5,000 needed to open the institution. The climax was a pep rally and parade, a bonfire, street dancing, and hundreds of marchers.
Although fundraising efforts fell short, registration booths opened in stores throughout the county. The regents rented classrooms at R. A. Long High School for $600 and President Dean Bauer supervised three instructors, Esther Shephard for English; Turfield Schindler for chemistry, zoology, and comparative anatomy; and Fred Wagner for social science.
The second year, 96 students enrolled. With help from the Weyerhaeuser and Long-Bell companies, forestry classes were offered. The companies allowed the school to use their properties to train foresters. In the early 1940s, the demand for classes resulted in use of the Longview Public Library. The first building of the main campus was completed in 1950.
Virginia Urrutia, They Came to Six Rivers (Kelso: The Cowlitz County Historical Society, 1998), 173-175; "Library History," Longview Public Library website accessed September 14, 2005, (www.longviewlibrary.org).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You