Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6843 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle's Venetian Theater on Capitol Hill closes on December 31, 1958.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7351 : Printer-Friendly Format

On December 31, 1958, the Venetian Theater -- located at the corner of E Pine Street and 15th Avenue in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood -- closes to the public with little fanfare. The last evening’s bill is a double feature, with In Love and War beginning at 7:30 p.m., followed by This Big Country at 9:30 p.m.

Originally opened on November 18, 1926, the Venetian was hailed at that time as the city’s finest “suburban” movie theater. The venue sat more than 800 patrons and represented an investment of nearly $150,000.

Although the house was apparently built by an investor from outside the Northwest, the Venetian came under local ownership within three months of its opening when the exhibition firm of Jensen and von Herberg snatched it up as part of an aggressive expansion plan. At the time, the firm owned the Ballard and the Majestic theaters in Ballard, and was preparing to open a third house in the same neighborhood, the Bagdhad. The Baghdad Theater would debut to the public on May 27, 1927.

In the late 1940s, local exhibitor John Hamrick (1876-1956) purchased the Venetian and his firm continued to operate it until its last performance. Never a big money maker, the venue was eventually sold to make way for a Foodland supermarket. It was torn down in July 1959.

Sources:
Advertisement for Venetian Theater, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 31, 1958, p. 6; “Venetian Theater, Symbol of Past, Being Torn Down,” Seattle Times, July 15, 1959, p. 2.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Film | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Venetian Theater, 15th Avenue and E Pine Street, Seattle, November, 1934
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. UW11673)


Venetian Theater, Capitol Hill, Seattle, 1946
Courtesy MOHAI (Image No. 83.10.16,609.1)


Venetian Theater, 15th Avenue and E Pine Street, Seattle, ca. 1950
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. UW17200)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org