William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6807 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens on January 29, 2005.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7323 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 29, 2005, the new Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens at 8016 Greenwood Avenue N.  This is the 13th project opened as part of Libraries For All, a $196.4 million bond issue passed by Seattle voters in 1998.

The new branch replaced a branch built in 1954 on the same site.  The Library board of trustees initially planned the new branch for a site four blocks north and had started condemnation proceedings against the McDonald’s restaurant on that property.  The McDonald’s site would have placed the new library at the heart of Greenwood’s commercial core.  The Greenwood community struggled to balance incorporating the new branch into the neighborhood’s urban-village plans while still achieving the Seattle Public Library’s goals of a 15,000 square-foot facility (double the old space) with adequate parking. 

The decision to reuse the 8016 Greenwood Avenue N site required closing and demolishing the old building and a nearby house.  The old facility closed November 1, 2003.

The new branch includes an auditorium, an expanded collection capacity of 66,700 books and materials, a special area for teens, increased computer capacity, two study rooms, a quiet room, and 36 underground parking spaces.  An outdoor balcony overlooks a planted green space.  Windows along the east side of the building offer a view of the Cascade Mountains, and clerestory windows in other areas flood the branch with natural light.  Designed by Buffalo Design, it cost $7,129,777 to build. 

Urban Hardwoods built the tabletops in the central area of the library out of an American red elm salvaged from Carnation.  Multi-filament chandeliers whose filaments culminate in tiny glowing shell-like shades cast a warm light that complements the building’s ample natural light.  Other lighting fixtures resemble glowing sea jellies.

The children’s area is defined by an undulating scrim-like wall and cradled in the broad angle created by two window walls.  Massive stone slabs protruding into the area offer young patrons a choice between perching on nearby child-scaled chairs and the rock outcropping. 

Portland artists Fernanda D’Agostino and Valerie Otani working with Henrietta Derix of Derix Glass Studios in Taunusstein, Germany, created three glass art pieces, windows embedded with text and layered images. Librarians and Greenwood library patrons were involved in the design process and modeled for these art pieces.

Mayor Greg Nickels (b. 1955) and City Librarian Deborah Jacobs welcomed Greenwood Branch patrons to their new building on opening day.

Sources:
Judy Chai Hui Hsu, “Greenwood Library Opens,” The Seattle Times, January 30, 2005; Beth Kaiman, “Greenwood Library to Stay,” Ibid., August 30, 2001; Phuong Cat Le, “Board May Reconsider New Site For Greenwood Library,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 16, 2001; HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington History, “Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library,” (by David Wilma), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed May 18, 2005); “Greenwood Branch Art Gallery,” The Seattle Public Library website accessed May 18, 2005 (http://www.spl.org/); personal observation by author, May 20, 2005.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Buildings | Education | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The Seattle Public Library Foundation


Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 9, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


Rock feature in children's department, Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 9, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


Interior with art glass window (Fernanda D’Agostino and Valerie Otani), Greenwood Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 9, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org