Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6872 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, reopens after remodeling on April 3, 2004.

HistoryLink.org Essay 7318 : Printer-Friendly Format

On April 3, 2004, the newly renovated West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, reopens at 2306 42nd Avenue SW.  This is the seventh branch opened as part of "Libraries For All," a $196.4 million bond issue passed by Seattle voters in 1998.

The West Seattle Branch was designed by W. Marbury Somervell (1872-1939) and Joseph S. Coté and built in 1908 with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.  It was the first permanent branch library building to open in Seattle and the first Carnegie-funded branch built by the Seattle Public Library system.  The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and was awarded landmark status by Seattle’s Landmarks Preservation Board.

The renovation was designed by Snyder Hartung Kane Strauss Architects and cost $2,257,664.  The renovation architects designed the remodel to complement and preserve the building’s historic character.  The windows were removed and replaced with exact replicas.  Salvaged oak paneling was refinished and reused in a new meeting room.  The library’s basement was renovated, adding 1,300 square feet to the structure and bringing the total square footage to 8,970.  The renovation also included updated computer capacity, upgrades to the electrical, ventilation, and lighting systems, a more efficient layout, and an updated collection.  The main floor of the branch was replastered and repainted.

Beyond its function as a book repository, over the years the branch served as an important anchor in the West Seattle community.  It hosted home-front war-service work during World War I and housed an air-raid headquarters during World War II. 

During the Libraries For All renovation, the branch was closed for almost a year and a half.  Patrons, including Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels, who lives six blocks from the branch, welcomed the reopening.

Sources:
“Renewed Library Fills Up,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer, April 1, 2004; Kathy Mulady, “West Seattle Library Closing,” Ibid., December 31, 2002; Tan Vinh, “Renovated W. Seattle Library Draws Crowd; Reopening Of Historic Branch Pleases Its Many Patrons,” The Seattle Times, April 4, 2004; HistoryLink.Org Online Encyclopedia of Washington History, “West Seattle branch, The Seattle Public Library,” (by David Wilma), http://www.historylink.org/, accessed May 18, 2005; “About The West Seattle Branch,” The Seattle Public Library website accessed May 16, 2005 (http://www.spl.org).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Buildings | Education | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The Seattle Public Library Foundation


West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, Seattle, September 10, 2008
HistoryLink.org Photo by Cassandra Tate


West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, reopening day, April 3, 2004
Courtesy The Seattle Public Library


West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 10, 2008
HistoryLink.org Photo by Cassandra Tate


West Seattle Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 10, 2008
HistoryLink.org Photo by Cassandra Tate


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org