Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Ahavath Ahim Congregation (Jewish), is founded in 1914.

HistoryLink.org Essay 665 : Printer-Friendly Format

Ahavath Ahim Congregation, is founded by Sephardim from the Island of Marmara and the Balkans in 1914.

Ahavath Ahim met informally as early as 1909, with the entire Sephardic Jewish community participating. Factionalism based on specific place of origin divided the Sephardic community and in 1914 two groups -- Congregations Ezra Bessaroth and Sephardic Bikur Cholim -- acquired their own places of worship.

The Ahavath Ahim group, consisting of the very first Sephardic pioneers to arrive in Seattle, remained independent. For many years, they met on the High Holidays in a rented hall. In 1922 they built their own synagagoe on 17th Avenue and East Fir.

In 1928, a Women's Auxiliary was formed. In 1929, a sum remaining after paying off the mortgage on the sanctuary was used to purchase cemetery grounds from Ashkenazic Bikur Cholim.

Until 1925, talented members of Ahavat Ahim conducted services, sang, and read from the Torah. From 1925 until 1931, Rabbi Sabetai Israel served the Congregation. The Congregation then hired Reverend Morris Scharhon.

In 1929, meetings were held to consider amalgamation with Sephardic Bikur Cholim. No decision was reached, but many members left the synagogue and joined Sephardic Bikur Cholim anyway. Ahavath Ahim continued for another 10 years. Finally they could not carry on with such a small membership and the synagogue was closed. The first contingent to leave agreed to merge with Sephardic Bikur Cholim provided the name be changed to Sephardic Bikur Cholim-Ahavath Ahim, which it was. But in the 1960s Sephardic Bikur Cholim reverted to the previous name for the sake of brevity. Other members of Ahavat Ahim joined Ezra Bessaroth.

Three of the four Torahs which Ahavath Ahim owned are now housed at Ezra Bessaroth. The fourth Torah was donated to a new immigrant village in Israel that had a minyan (quorum needed for worship services) but no Torah. 

Sources:
Albert Adatto, "Sephardim and the Seattle Sephardic Community" (M.A. thesis, University of Washington, 1939); Isaac Maimon, "History of Ahavat Ahim Congregation" Nizcor: Washington State Jewish Historical Society Newsletter Spring 1996.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Roots | Jews in Washington | Religion |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org