Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6826 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Fisher, Elmer H. (ca. 1840-1905), Architect

HistoryLink.org Essay 66 : Printer-Friendly Format

Elmer H. Fisher was Seattle’s foremost commercial architect in the few years surrounding the great fire of 1889. His extensive Romanesque and Classical Revival building programs, which reflected the architecture of great empires of the past, asserted the economic optimism of the city rising from its ashes. This confidence propelled his initial success.

From Scotland to Port Townsend

Fisher was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, around 1840. Little is known of his life prior to age 40. He began practicing architecture in Victoria, British Columbia, in 1886, after years spent in Minneapolis, Denver, and Butte, Montana. He produced residential and commercial buildings in a number of Canadian cities before practicing in the state of Washington. He first moved to Port Townsend where he designed the McCurdy Block in 1887, and quickly followed that with other commerical blocks.

He opened an office in Seattle the same year; its focus was primarily commercial. Among Fisher’s designs were:

  • The first Korn Building (1887-1889; destroyed)
  • The Gilmore and Kirkman Building (1889-1890; destroyed)
  • The Austin Bell Building (1889-1890; altered)
  • The second Korn Building (1889-1890; altered)
  • The Starr-Boyd Building (1889-1890; destroyed)
  • The Sullivan Building (1899-1890; destroyed)
  • The Lebanon Building (1889-1891; destroyed)
  • The Schwabacher Building (1889-1890; altered).

Community leaders such as Henry Yesler (1810-1892) and Judge Thomas Burke (1849-1925) provided the architect with critical commissions in 1889. Fisher’s Pioneer Building and the Burke Building (now destroyed) fueled interest in his firm, which was reportedly responsible for more than 50 buildings in the 12 months after the fire. As the boom of post-fire building abated, Fisher received fewer commissions. Among his last works were the Bank of Commerce (1890-1891; altered) and the Yesler Block (1890-1891; altered), both commissioned by Henry Yesler.

Difficulties

Like many other young architects of his generation, Fisher abandoned his practice in 1891 as the tide of reconstruction ebbed. He became the proprietor of the Abbott Hotel, but lost this and other real estate investments during the economic crash of 1893. Fisher’s attempts to reestablish his practice failed, both in Seattle and in Los Angeles. He died in 1905, an architectural draftsman and carpenter.

Although the majority of Fisher’s buildings have been destroyed, the extant Pioneer Building in Pioneer Square suggests the scale, materials, and style of Seattle’s late nineteenth-century cityscape. His commercial buildings reflected the persistence of High Victorian style, which combined historical forms with modern building materials. Metal framing systems provide relatively fire-resistant skeletons for his large-scale buildings. The number of Fisher’s works suggests the output of an extensive office of draftsmen, a trend gaining momentum toward the turn of the century. Fisher’s use of materials, his compositions and stylistic formulae, as well as his office structure, reflected nation-wide changes in urban architectural practice.

Despite the brevity of his architectural career, Fisher helped establish the stylistic tenor of the city’s commercial district at the turn of the twentieth century. His Pioneer Building still anchors of one of Seattle’s best-known historic districts.

Sources:
Jeffrey Karl Ochsner and Dennis A. Anderson, "Elmer H. Fisher," in Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects ed. by Jeffrey Karl Ochsner (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994), 22-27.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Biographies | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Elmer H. Fisher (ca. 1840-1905), 1890
Courtesy UW Special Collections


Pioneer Building (Elmer Fisher, 1889)



 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org