Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6857 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Thornewood Castle, in Lakewood, Pierce County

HistoryLink.org Essay 5351 : Printer-Friendly Format

Although Thornewood is not in King County, there are many who believe that it is, due to its starring role as the mansion in Stephen King’s Rose Red, a made-for-television movie set in Seattle, which debuted on ABC-TV on January 27, 28, and 31, 2002. Thornewood Castle is actually located in the community of Lakewood, southwest of Tacoma on the shores of American Lake in Pierce County. The mansion was built by Chester Thorne (1863-1927), one of the founders of the Port of Tacoma, and the first president of National Bank of Tacoma (later National Bank of Washington). Currently (2002) Thornewood Castle is a private bed-and-breakfast, and may be visited only by appointment or reservation. King fans please note that the Rimbauer family, Joyce Reardon, and the Rose Red mansion are completely fictional and have no basis in actual Seattle history.

Civic Leader of Tacoma

Chester Thorne graduated from Yale in 1884 with a degree in engineering. Taking a job with the Missouri Pacific Railway Co., he became friends with H. M. Hoxie, the general manager. Thorne soon married Hoxie’s daughter Anna (186?-1954), and moved to Tacoma, where he invested money in the National Bank of Commerce, later becoming its director.

Thorne was one of the very few who financially survived the Panic of 1893, a national depression triggered by a precipitous drop in United States gold reserves. While other banks failed across America, Thorne’s financial prowess stabilized his own bank and brought it through to prosperity. The National Bank of Commerce later consolidated with the Pacific National Bank, forming the National Bank of Tacoma -- with Thorne at the helm.

Thorne also helped found the Port of Tacoma, and served as president its the port commission. He was a strong advocate for the formation of Mount Rainier National Park, and fought hard -- and in vain -- to have the mountain named Mount Tacoma. Thorne led the way to opening up the park to tourists, and as first president of the Rainier National Park Co., he helped develop the park’s Paradise Lodge and other concessions.

Quite a Home

Amid his civic and financial endeavors, Thorne undertook a personal project that would create a Northwest legacy for years to come -- Thornewood. Work began on this vast 100-acre estate in the community of Lakewood. Begun in 1908, the mansion and its gardens took four years and $1 million to complete.

The sprawling 31,000 square-foot, 40-room home was designed by architect Kirtland Cutter (1860-1939), already noted for building the Rainier Club and the Stimson-Green mansion in Seattle, among others. He designed it in Tudor Gothic style, and used materials transported around Cape Horn on three ships from the British Isles. The cargo included 500-year-old red bricks from Wales, a massive grand central staircase. and three-inch-thick solid oak doors taken from a fifteenth century castle.

Thornewood’s walls were built 10 inches thick, and its floors separated by 18 inches of concrete and cinder. Seventeen Wilkeson sandstone chimneys punctuate the roof, although nearly half of them were intended to be ornamental. The rest were connected to fireplaces made of Florentine marble. The mansion also housed Thorne’s collection of more than 100 works of stained glass, originally owned by an English duke.

Thorne’s Roses

Thorne hired the Olmsted Brothers landscape architecture firm, designer of many noted Seattle parks, to plan the grounds. Before work began, tons of rich Nisqually River soil were carted in and laid over the entire landscape, 18 inches deep. The Olmsteds turned 37 of the estate's 100 acres into a formal English garden, filled with wisteria, purple clematis, climbing hydrangea, and pillar roses.

A sunken garden was built next to the home, off a special room built especially for Thorne’s wife, Anna. All other rooms in the house were designed for lake views, but Anna’s sitting room faced Mount Rainier, overlooking what Anna called her “secret garden.”

The landscape required a full-time staff of 28 gardeners, including a “color gardener” just for the sunken garden, whose job it was to coordinate the different color schemes for each season. Inside the house, a staff of 40 servants took care of the needs of Chester Thorne, his wife, and their daughter Anita.

A Many-Storied House

Over the years, many garden parties, soirees, and fine dinners were held at Thornewood. Presidents Theodore Roosevelt and William Howard Taft stayed within its walls. In 1926, House Beautiful named the gardens one of the five most beautiful in America.

Chester Thorne passed away in his lake home on October 17, 1927, after a lingering illness. Flags were flown at half-mast throughout Tacoma. By this time, his daughter, Anita (1894-1994), had married Cadwallader Colden Corse (1896-1980). The young couple lived with their son in the vast mansion.

Three weeks after Thorne’s death, another tragedy struck Thornewood. Two ambulances were sent to the estate, and it is known that one of them left carrying an injured Cadwallader. Newspapers reported that he had suffered an accident when a rifle he was carrying went off, lodging a bullet in his head. The next day his right eyeball was removed, along with the bullet behind it. The true circumstances of this episode have never been publicly explained.

Family Matters

Anita and Cadwallader Corse later divorced, and Anita went on to marry Major General David L. Stone (1876-1959), builder of nearby Fort Lewis. Anna Thorne was elected to the board of directors of her husband’s bank, and continued to oversee her husband’s quiet philanthropy in the community, as well as the mansion and gardens. In 1930, the Garden Club of America chose Thornewood as having the most beautiful garden in America.

In 1937, General Stone was transferred from command of Fort Lewis to the Panama Canal Zone, and he took his wife, Anita, with him. Thornewood became too big and lonely for Anna, and she moved into a Georgian home built at her request at the corner of N 5th Avenue and D Street in Tacoma. When the Stones moved back to Thornewood, Mrs. Thorne returned home. She died there peacefully in 1954.

General Stone passed away in 1959, and Anita sold the house and grounds to Harold St. John, who subdivided the land for 30 home sites. Just over four acres were reserved for the mansion, along with 110 feet of lake front. Zoning was arranged for 10 apartments in the mansion. In 1965, St. John sold the estate to Frank McMillan, who later sold it to Perry Palmer. In 1982, the house was added to the National Register.

Restoration and Rose Red

In the 1980s, resort developer Steve Redwine bought the home, but had to return to Hawaii to work on a hotel development. The house was bought in 1995 by Richard and Debbie Mirau, who began the long process of returning Thornewood to some of its earlier splendor.

The roof hadn’t been cleaned in 50 years, and leaks were everywhere. The Miraus found an old bathroom barricaded by plywood, increasing the total number of lavatories to 23. The most interesting discovery was wishbone-shaped sticks hung from the rafters in the basement. They are believed to be good-luck totems, placed by Native American workmen during the house’s construction in the 1910s.

The sunken garden was later restored and featured in a travelling Smithsonian exhibit, and the mansion was transformed into a bed and breakfast. In 2000, the home was sold to Deanna and Wayne Robinson, who are continuing the renovations, as they welcome guests wishing to relax in a magnificently vast, historic mansion.

In 2001, Thornewood received a big boost from ABC/Disney, which paid for further restoration so the estate could be used in the filming of the television mini-series Rose Red written by Stephen King. The house has the “starring role” as a haunted mansion located in Seattle. Exterior shots of the home were matted into scenes shot in downtown Seattle, giving the illusion that the castle was built by the fictitious Rimbauer family on what is actually Interstate-5.

Upon viewing the mini-series, many may think that this home is one of Seattle’s most splendid historic structures, when in fact it is one of Lakewood’s treasures.

Sources:
“Death Claims Man Who Led Tacoma’s Growth 37 Years,” Tacoma News Tribune , October 17, 1927, pp. 1-2; “C. C. Corse Shot in Temple,” Tacoma News Tribune , November 8, 1927, p. 1; “Removes Bullet from Corse’s Eye,” Tacoma News Tribune , November 9, 1927, p. 1; “Most Beautiful Garden in America,” Tacoma News Tribune , July 31, 1930, p. 1; “Stones Plan Thornewood Renovation,” Tacoma News Tribune , March 27, 1940, p. 1; “Death Calls Mrs. Thorne,” Tacoma News Tribune , January 30, 1954, pp. 1, 21; “Whatever Happened to Thornewood,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer , August 11, 1968, pp. 57-58; “Thorne Mansion is Multi-Family Home Today,” Seattle Post-Intelligencer , August 18, 1968, pp. 29-30; “Chester Thorne: Financier, and Pioneer Civic Leader,” Tacoma News Tribune , October 16, 1977, p. A-11; “Callers ‘Round the Globe Bid on Castle in Lakewood,” Tacoma News Tribune , October 17, 1992, p. B-7; “A Home, Office and 22 Bathrooms,” Tacoma News Tribune , January 6, 1996, p. C-7; “A Castle Worth Keeping,” Tacoma News Tribune , August 2, 1997, pp. HB-3, HB-7; “An Historical Garden is Reborn,” Tacoma News Tribune , August 21, 1999, pp. HB-3, HB-7; “A Gothic Tale,” The Seattle Times , September 9, 2001, magazine, pp. 35, 37, 38; Ruth Kirk, Sunrise to Paradise: The Story of Mount Rainier National Park (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999) p. 81; Further information provided by Deanna Robinson, (http://www.thornewoodcastle.com).
Note: General David L. Stone's name was corrected on August 3, 2009.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Film | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Thornewood Castle, Lakewood, 1920s
Postcard


Thornewood Castle, Lakewood, 2001
Courtesy Deanna Robinson


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org