Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6835 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

New Pantages Theatre in Tacoma opens on January 7, 1918.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5182 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 7, 1918, the new Pantages Theatre, located at 901 Broadway in downtown Tacoma, opens its doors for the first time.  Replacing the old Pantages on Pacific Avenue, the new theater has a seating capacity of 1,186, and is designed by Seattle architect B. Marcus Priteca (1889-1971), America’s foremost designer of theaters.  Tacoma’s new Pantages is part of the Pantages circuit of vaudeville houses, which are owned and operated by Seattle vaudeville magnate Alexander Pantages (1876-1936).  The Pantages circuit will eventually extend from the West Coast all the way to the Mississippi River, and into parts of Western Canada.

Although the venue was originally built to showcase Pantages vaudeville, the house had always been equipped to show motion pictures, which became its primary draw beginning in the 1930s.  Eventually, after Alexander Pantages sold off many of his circuit houses (including the Tacoma Pantages) the venue became known as the Roxy, a name that stuck through the 1960s. 

During its later years the theater lost some of its original luster, as did much of Tacoma’s historic downtown during that same period.  Larry Bullis recalled attending the Pantages (then known as the Roxy) as a child during the 1950s, remarking, “The inside was painted overall with ugly green paint and the kids in the balcony used to drop stuff on the people below.”

Thankfully, however, the Pantages was not allowed to decay beyond repair, nor did it become a casualty of downtown revitalization.  Restored to its former glory in 1983, the venue (renamed the Broadway Center for the Performing Arts) now anchors a new and vibrant downtown Tacoma, one teeming with a variety of cultural activities.

Sources:
“Pantages (Roxy) Theatre -- Tacoma,” Puget Sound Pipeline Online, (www.pstos.org/instruments/wa/tacoma/pantages.htm); Larry Bullis, “The Pantages Theater -- Tacoma, Washington USA,” (http://www.halcyon.com/ cif/Kingfisher/Photo/Pantages/Pantages.html).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Film | Theater & Dance | Music & Musicians | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Tacoma’s landmark Pantages Theater and Broadway Center for the Performing Arts, 2002
HistoryLink Photo by David Wilma


Roxy Theatre (right), formerly Pantages Theatre (1918), Tacoma, ca. 1947
Courtesy Puget Sound Theatre Organ Society


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org