Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle's Providence Hospital moves to a new building on September 24, 1911.

HistoryLink.org Essay 471 : Printer-Friendly Format

On September 24, 1911, the Sisters of Providence move from the aging hospital, designed by Mother Joseph in 1876, to their new state-of-the-art building at 17th and Jefferson streets on Seattle's Renton Hill. The Sisters served the community from what became known as the Providence Seattle Medical Center until February 2000, when the facility and nine related clinics were sold to Swedish Hospital.

The Federal Courthouse replaced the former wood-frame hospital at 5th Avenue and Spring Street in downtown Seattle. Both the Seattle Historical Society (now the Historical Society of Seattle and King County) and the Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation have installed bronze plaques beside the Courthouse steps to commemorate Seattle's first hospital and its founders.

Sources:
Mildred Tanner Andrews, Woman's Place: A Guide to Seattle and King county History (Seattle: Gemil Press, 1994), 196-98; David M. Buerge and Junius Rochester, Roots and Branches (Seattle: Church Council of Greater Seattle, 1988), 72-75; Ellis Lucia, Seattle's Sisters of Providence (Seattle: Sisters of Providence, 1978).
Note: This essay was updated on May 12, 2002.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Health | Women's History | Religion |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Providence Hospital, 1910s
Postcard


Providence Hospital, Seattle, 1920s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org