Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6871 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Sucursal Columbia de la Biblioteca Pública de Seattle

HistoryLink.org Essay 4057 : Printer-Friendly Format

La Sucursal Columbia de la Biblioteca Pública de Seattle está ubicada en 4721 Rainier Avenue S, adyacente a Columbia Park, en el extremo norte del distrito comercial de Columbia City en el sudeste de Seattle. El histórico edificio que data de 1915 es la más pequeña de las bibliotecas construidas para Seattle con donaciones del filántropo Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919). La sucursal en sí misma data de 1909, dos años después de que Columbia City fuera anexada a Seattle, cuando se abrió una pequeña sucursal en los alrededores de Spartan, en el antiguo palacio municipal de Columbia City. Desde los comienzos de la sucursal en 1909, se han producido enormes cambios en un vecindario que siempre ha atraído grupos de inmigrantes, ya sea italianos o asiáticos o pobladores de las islas del Pacífico. Bajo el programa de mejoramiento “Bibliotecas para Todos”, una emisión de bonos por valor de $196.4 millones de dólares aprobada por los electores de Seattle en 1998, el edificio fue ampliado al doble de su tamaño anterior. Estuvo cerrado durante un año por renovaciones, reabriéndose en agosto de 2004. La biblioteca ampliada y renovada preserva el carácter distintivo del edificio como un hito histórico.

Sources:
"Columbia Branch Library Opened," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, June 7, 1909, Sec. 2, p. 1; "Columbia Library Reopens," newsclipping, May 31, 1986, in "Columbia Library -- Miscellaneous Papers," folder, Seattle Public Library Archives; "Columbia Community Study," report, Seattle Community Services Division, 1981, Ibid.; "Columbia Branch History," typescript, September 15, 1932, in folder "Columbia Library History," Ibid.; "Columbia Library -- Quarterly Reports, April 1915-July 1934," folder, Ibid.; "Columbia Library -- Annual Reports, 1934-1974," folder, Ibid.; "Columbia Branch," Seattle Public Library Website (www.spl.org); Polk's City Directory - Seattle, 1910-1914; "Librarian Wants Aid In Good Work," Rainier Valley Citizen, October 27, 1917, newsclipping, Columbia Branch Library Archives; "Seattle Public Library Directory of Staff, 1967-1970," bound toether, Northwest History Collection, The Seattle Public Library.
Note: This essay was updated on May 29, 2005, on September 10, 2008, and again on February 15, 2009, and was revised slightly on October 26, 2011.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Southeast Seattle | The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Education | Buildings | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay narrative is available in multiple languages
This essay made possible by:
Seattle Public Library Foundation


Columbia Branch Library (Somervell and Thomas) under construction, 1915
Courtesy Rainier Valley Historical Society


Columbia City branch library (Somervell and Thomas, 1915), The Seattle Public Library, Seattle, 1931
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. SEA0375)


Reading room, Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, ca. 1915
Courtesy UW Special Collections (W&S 1983.10.9205)


Columbia City, looking east on Ferdinand Street, 1908
Photo by Asahel Curtis, Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. CUR513)


Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library (Somervell and Thomas, 1915), 2002
Courtesy The Seattle Public Library


Plan for expansion of Columbia Branch Library, 2002
Sketch by Cardwell Architects, Courtesy Seattle Public Library


Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, 4721 Rainier Avenue S, Columbia City, Seattle, September 12, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


2004 addition to Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, 4721 Rainier Avenue S, Columbia City, Seattle, September 12, 2008
HistoryLink.org Photo by Paula Becker


Interior, Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 12, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


Children's area, Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 12, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


"Spirit of Washington" (Marvin Oliver, 1992) behind Columbia Branch, The Seattle Public Library, September 12, 2008
HistoryLink.org photo by Paula Becker


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org