< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Lake City Branch, King County Library System, opens in February 1944.
HistoryLink.org Essay 4032
: Printer-Friendly Format
In February 1944, the Lake City Branch, King County Library System, opens in the basement of Lake City School on E 125th Street (Later NE 125th Street). The library had operated at that location under the auspices of the Library Committee of the Pacific Improvement Club since 1935. The branch will move to a neighboring firehall in 1949 and will become a branch of the Seattle Public Library in 1955.
The Pacific Improvement Club, a community group, organized a committee in 1935 under Minnie Lyon to establish a free lending library. The three members of the committee arranged for a portion of a classroom in Lake City School to be shared with the Works Progress Administration. Husbands of committee members built the shelves. The library was open one day a week and loaned out books donated by members of the community. In 1937, the library moved into its own space in the school basement.
On November 11, 1949, the branch moved from the school basement into the new fire station a block north on 30th Avenue E (later 30th Avenue NE). The fire commissioners permitted the library to use their meeting room until a proper branch could be found. In the general election of 1953, the North End voted to be annexed to the city of Seattle, taking effect after the New Year. King County continued to operate the Lake City branch for another year.
"History of the Lake City Library," typescript, undated, scrapbook, Lake City Branch Library; "Lake City Library To Be Dedicated Next Month," Lake City Star, September 29, 1965, p. 1.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
The Seattle Public Library |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You