William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Greenwood-Phinney Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens on May 16, 1928.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3982 : Printer-Friendly Format

On May 16, 1928, the Greenwood-Phinney Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens at 7020 Greenwood Avenue N. Funds to rent the storefront were raised by neighborhood groups. The branch will prove to be very popular and will be expanded twice before 1954, when a new Greenwood Branch will open.

A One-Woman Campaign

In March 1926, the library board let it be known that it would give "favorable consideration to the proposition of installing a branch library" (Greenwood Archives) if the community paid for rent, utilities, and janitorial service. Edith Marston of the Greenwood Parent Teachers Association was appointed to head a campaign to raise the necessary money. Marston asked families to subscribe 10 cents a month for two years. She collected $340.80, almost all of it personally.

The library board rented a small storefront at 7020 Greenwood Avenue N. The opening was advertised with a banner on a plumber's truck that cruised the district. Approximately 1,000 books were shelved along one wall and there was seating for 24 readers. The first day, almost one third of the books were checked out. The branch was so popular that the hours were expanded twice in the first year.

In 1954, Greenwood-Phinney branch closed when the Greenwood Branch was built.

Sources:
"Greenwood-Phinney Library 1928--," folder, Seattle Public Library Archives; "Greenwood-Phinney Library -- History," folder, Ibid.; "Greenwood Library 1953-1974 -- Annual Reports," folder, Ibid.; "Library Opening 1954," folder, Greenwood Branch Library Archives; "Greenwood Branch," folder, Ibid.; "Greenwood Branch -- Misc.," folder, Ibid.; "Green Lake Library -- Annual Reports," folder, Ibid.; "Brief History of the Greenwood-Phinney Branch," undated typescript, Ibid.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Education | Buildings | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Seattle Public Library Foundation


Greenwood-Phinney Branch, Seattle Public Library, 1931
Courtesy UW Special Collections


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org