< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
The Home of the Good Shepherd opens in Seattle neighborhood of Wallingford on July 29, 1907.
HistoryLink.org Essay 3853
: Printer-Friendly Format
On July 29, 1907, the Home of the Good Shepherd, located at 4649 Sunnyside Avenue in Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood, opens. The Sisters and their charges move into the new building from their previous residence on First Hill. The architect of the building, C. Alfred Breitung, sends ice cream for the Sisters and for three busloads of children (the orphans and troubled girls the institution cares for).
The cornerstone was laid in September 1906 and the building erected at a cost of $125,000. The Home provided shelter, education, and guidance both to orphans and to troubled girls. The Home generated revenue by operating a commercial laundry. In 1926, the orphans were transferred to Mother Cabrini’s Sacred Heart Villa in Seattle’s Laurelhurst neighborhood. The Home continued to serve teenage girls and young women until 1973.
HistoryLink Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Home of the Good Shepherd" (by Toby Harris), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed June 2, 2002).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Women's History |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You