Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6871 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

King County deeds Sand Point Airfield to U.S. Navy on February 1, 1921.

HistoryLink.org Essay 365 : Printer-Friendly Format

On February 1, 1921, the King County Board of Commissioners deeds 269 acres at Sand Point, including a new airfield, to the U.S. Navy, but Congressional opposition delays the Navy's formal acceptance of the property until 1926. Congress finally funds development of the air base the following year.

King County began assembling land at Sand Point in 1920 and built a crude air strip in hopes of luring the Navy into developing a base there. Although the Navy was eager to acquire the field, the effort was stymied by Congressional opposition to new military spending in the wake of World War I.

In an attempt to force the government's hand, Claude Ramsey, chair of the King County Board of Commissioners, personally handed deeds for more than 200 acres to the Secretary of the Navy. The transaction could not be completed until Congress approved acceptance of the land on March 4, 1925. On December 18, 1925, King County formally transferred 374.69 acres at Sand Point to the Navy for $1 fee simple.

Federal concerns over some of the parcel titles delayed official acceptance of Sand Point until March 8, 1926. The Navy Secretary Wilbur praised King County's perseverance and "splendid cooperation in the establishment of this new unit in the plan of national defense." Former King County Commissioner Ramsey later commented, "This patriotic gift offered by the over-burdened taxpayers of King County, including the price of the land and the interest on the investment and actual work done, cost more than one-half million dollars." The County ultimately transferred 413 acres to the Navy, and Congress appropriated more than $1 million for the air base's initial development.

Sources:
The Seattle Times, February 2, 1921; Jesse Edward Hutchinson, "History of the Sand Point Naval Air Station" (unpublished MA thesis, University of Washington, 1931).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Aviation | Government & Politics | War & Peace |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Seattle Parks & Recreation Dept.


Sand Point, 1928
Courtesy Naval Station Puget Sound at Sand Point


First hangars and control tower at Sand Point, ca. 1928
Courtesy Naval Station Puget Sound at Sand Point


First Naval buildings at Sand Point, ca. 1930



 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org