Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6826 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Amphetamines constitute largest drug problem in Seattle's University District as of January 7, 1968.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3306 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 7, 1968, Lee Kirschner, director of the Open Door Clinic, states that amphetamine use is the largest drug problem in the University District. LSD, heroin, and marihuana use have increased as well. A new drug, called the "Peace Pill" has also appeared, but its identity has not been determined.

The Open Door Clinic was a volunteer social service agency at 12th Avenue NE and NE 38th Street, established to help drug users and other persons with problems. The staff included four psychiatrists, eight physicians, 12 registered nurses, four laboratory technicians, and University of Washington graduate students in social work. Professional case workers and drug counselors served there also. Kirschner described the clinic as "a multidisciplinary, multiservice agency bringing head and heart to bear on problems of alienated youth."

The center also assisted juvenile runaways by providing them shelter and putting them in touch with their parents.

The board of directors included medical doctors, including children's psychiatrist Dr. James McDermott (b. 1936), who later was elected to Congress.

The clinic opened on October 24, 1967, in response to the need to provide drug abuse intervention and social services 24-hours-a-day to young people drawn to the University District's hippie culture in the 1960s and 1970s. The clinic closed in 1980 for lack of funding.

Sources:
Hilda Bryant, "'Peace Pill' Use Spreads in District," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, January 1, 1968, p. 16; "Party to Commemorate the ODC," The Seattle Times, October 23, 1980, B-3.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Society | Culture | Health |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Poster, first Sky River Rock Festival, Sultan, 1968
Courtesy Helix


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org