William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Pacific Car and Foundry Co. becomes PACCAR Inc on January 25, 1972.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3194 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 25, 1972, Pacific Car and Foundry Co. becomes PACCAR Inc. The name change reflects the evolution of the company since it first began manufacturing logging trucks on tideflats in Humphrey (West Seattle) in 1905. PACCAR encompasses the manufacture of heavy trucks, railroad rolling stock, structural steel, and winches and machinery, as well as financial and engineering services.

Seattle Car Manufacturing Co. opened its doors in June 1905 on property belonging to Seattle Steel Co. William Pigott (1860-1929) started both companies. In 1908, the Humphrey plant burned to the ground, but construction of a new facility near Renton had already begun. In 1911, the company became Seattle Car and Foundry. In 1917, it became Pacific Car and Foundry Co. when it merged with a Portland competitor, Twohy Brothers.

In 1924, Pacific Car was sold to American Car Manufacturing Co. In 1934, William Pigott's son Paul (1900-1961) and Seattle investors bought the company back. By 1960, under Paul Pigott's leadership, the company grew to become one of the top 300 manufacturing firms in the United States.

Sources:
Alex Groner, PACCAR: The Pursuit of Quality, (Bellevue: Documentary Book Publishing Co., 1981), 203.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Business | Industry |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
PACCAR Inc


William Pigott (1860-1929), ca. 1920
Courtesy PACCAR Inc



Courtesy PACCAR Inc


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org