Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6770 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Guns force children from city parks in January 1942.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3098 : Printer-Friendly Format

In January 1942, U.S. Army anti-aircraft guns take over city parks to defend Seattle from aerial attack during World War II. Troops of the 63rd Coast Artillery Regiment (Anti-Aircraft) establish gun, search light, and barrage balloon emplacements along with barracks and messing facilities.

On December 8, 1941, the United States declared war on the Empire of Japan. Seattle's location on the Pacific Coast and the existence of important defense industries such as the Boeing Airplane Co. and Todd Shipyards made it a target for enemy attack. Batteries of three-inch guns were placed in the Highland Park Playground in West Seattle and on the 9-hole golf course in Jefferson Park on Beacon Hill. Search light batteries were placed in Woodland Park, Fort Lawton, Jefferson Park, Laurelhurst Playground, Froula Playground, and the Grand Army of the Republic Cemetery near Volunteer Park. A battery of the 304th Barrage Balloon Battalion was based at the Delridge Playground in West Seattle.

A 40 m.m. gun was placed on the tower of the Sears Building on 1st Avenue S, but the soldiers dropped it and bent the barrel. The repair and maintenance of the equipment was done at an Army facility at Westlake Avenue N and N Valley Street at the south end of Lake Union.

Once-open parks were ringed in barbed wire and guarded by sentries. Lawn areas were dug up for gun emplacements and bunkers. Troops used the showers and toilets of field houses, coordinating schedules with residents.

At the end of the war, the Army paid the city for damages done to the park properties.

Sources:
Records of the Seattle Parks and Recreation Department, Series 5801, Box 6, Folder 113, Seattle Municipal Archives, Seattle, Washington; Donald Kreipke, M.D. to David Wilma, email dated January 15, 2001, in possession of David Wilma, Seattle, Washington.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: War & Peace | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


U.S. Army 3" anti-aircraft gun, 1943
Courtesy Sitka Historical Society


U.S. Army ordinance depot, Westlake Avenue North and North Valley Street, Seattle, 1943
Photo by Herman Kreipke, Courtesy Dr. Donald Kreipke, M.D.


Anti-aircraft gun emplacement at Highland Playground, 1946
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives (Image No. 29308)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org