< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Phillip Ritz purchases site of Wallingford business district (Seattle) for settlement on June 3, 1869.
HistoryLink.org Essay 3091
: Printer-Friendly Format
On June 3, 1869, Phillip Ritz purchases 80 acres from the federal government in what would become the Wallingford neighborhood of Seattle. (Ritz's land extends from the future Woodlawn to Meridian Avenue N and from N 40th to N 45th streets.) The following year, Dexter Horton (1825-1904) purchases 160 acres adjacent to Ritz's acreage. (Horton's land extends from the future N 42nd to 57th Street and from Meridian to 5th Avenue N.) They each paid $1.25 per acre.
The Land Survey: 1855
The land had to be surveyed by the office of the Surveyor General of the United States before such purchases could be made. The future Wallingford was surveyed in August and September 1855.
On August 7, 1855, William A. Strickler was awarded the first contract to survey a township in King County. The township, which included Wallingford, extended from Puget Sound to Lake Duwamish (also called Lake Washington), and from the future Yesler Way (in Seattle) to just north of Green Lake and Sand Point.
During the next two weeks, Strickler hired five members for the survey crew: David Phillips as compassman, W. H. Gilliam and Walter Graham as axemen, and Henry G. Parsons and Asa Fouler (Fowler?) as chain carriers. On August 23, 1855, the Strickler crew started surveying the township, which was designated 25 North Range 4 East.
The survey noted Indian trails between Lake Union and Green Lake, as well as trees, brush, berries, briers, and other flora, and the terrain.
On September 22, 1855, Phillips set a corner post at what would become the corner of N 45th Street and Meridian Avenue N in Wallingford. Phillips describes the land as level, with first rate timber consisting of fir, cedar, hemlock, maple, and alder. He encountered cedar trees 40 inches in diameter along his survey sights.
"The Washington Tract Books," Vols. 126 and 127, Record Group 49, Pacific Northwest Region National Archives, Seattle, Washington; U. S. Department of Interior, Bureau of Land Management, "Cadastral survey field notes and plats for Oregon and Washington," Township 25 North, Range 4 East," University of Washington Microfiche M-3066, Newspapers and Microform, University of Washington Libraries, Seattle, Washington.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You