< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Public views refurbished ferry Rhododendron on May 18 and 19, 1991.
HistoryLink.org Essay 3041
: Printer-Friendly Format
On May 18 and 19, 1991, during Maritime Week celebrations, the public is invited on board the refurbished ferry Rhododendron to view changes made to the 44-year-old vessel. The rebuilt ferry is awaiting Coast Guard trials and will be put back into service the following month.
Washington State Ferries bought the Rhododendron, named the Governor Herbert R. O'Conor when built in 1947, from the Maryland State Road Commission in 1953. This was the first ferry that WSF bought after taking over the ferry system from the Puget Sound Navigation Company in 1951.
By the 1990s, the vessel was showing its age and needed an upgrade. Although Todd Shipyards came in with the low bid of $8.5 million to refurbish the ferry, it eventually cost more than $15 million to complete the job. This was due to the discovery that more steel had to be replaced than was expected, as well as other unanticipated repairs.
Out With the Old, In With the New
The entire superstructure and almost 40 percent of the hull was replaced. The ferry's old engines, which tended to stall when in full reverse, were replaced with lighter, high-speed Finnish engines. Because of the change in weight, the vessel now sat higher in the water. On board, vending machines replaced the galley, and the entire boat got a new paint job.
Under Coast Guard regulations, cross-sound ferries must have two or more watertight compartments, so if one is ruptured the vessel can still remain afloat. Because of this, the Rhododendron, with only one compartment, was not allowed to cross shipping lanes. Instead, it was placed on the Tahlequah/Point Defiance run between Vashon Island and Tacoma.
The refurbished Rhododendron plied the Tahlequah/Point Defiance route for nearly two decades. In January 2012, the newly built 64-car Chetzemoka replaced the 48-car Rhododendron, by then the oldest ferry in the WSF fleet, on that route and WSF retired the old ferry. In 2013, WSF sold the Rhododendron for $275,000 to a shellfish-farm company, which planned to remove the vessel's engines and use it as a floating platform for handling scallops at several Vancouver Island scallop farms.
"Public Gets a Look at the Refurbished Ferry Rhododendron," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 20, 1991, p. B-3; "64-Car Ferries -- Project Timeline," Washington State Ferries website accessed April 17, 2014 (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Ferries/64CarFerries/timeline.htm); "WSF Weekly Update," March 1, 2013, Washington State Ferries website accessed April 17, 2014 (http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/weekly); "Washington Ferry Rhody Sold to BC Scallop Farm," The Seattle Times, February 28, 2013 (http://seattletimes.com/).
Note: This essay was updated and corrected on April 17, 2014.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Washington State Ferries |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You