< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Bikur Cholim-Machzikay Hadath (Seattle)
HistoryLink.org Essay 299
: Printer-Friendly Format
Chevra Bikur Cholim, (Hebrew for Society for visiting the sick), incorporated in Seattle in 1891 with the purpose of caring for the sick and providing proper burial. Within a decade it evolved into a religious congregation.
Before incorporating, the chevra held Simchas Torah (Rejoicing with the Torah) services in 1889 in Red Man's Hall on 2nd Avenue and Seneca Street. Burial grounds were purchased at Oak Lake, circa 1890.
Bikur Cholim's first synagogue was a remodeled private residence, at 14th Avenue and Washington Street. It became the center of religious and social activity for orthodox Jewry.
In 1893, Rabbi Hirsch Genss gave the congregation a Torah. In addition to running a grocery and butcher shop, Rabbi Genss served as the congregation's first rabbi. Although he was not officially elected or given a formal salary he performed the duties of the schochet (ritual slaughterer), mohel (one who performs circumcision), and rabbinical authority.
In 1897, Zalman Grodinsky helped the chevra to purchase the property for a synagogue at 13th Avenue and Washington Street. In 1898, on Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year), the doors opened for worshippers, but the Gold Rush had increased the population of Seattle by so much that auxiliary services had to be held in Morris Hall.
In 1909, property was purchased to build a synagogue at 17th Avenue and Yesler Way. For five years, services were conducted in the vestry of the partially completed building. The architect B. Marcus Piteca, whose work includes Seattle's Coliseum, Orpheum, and Opera House, designed the synagogue. It was dedicated in 1915 and served as Bikur Cholim's home for 60 years.
Rabbis serving Bikur Cholim have been:
- Rabbi Gedaliah Halpern (first officially elected rabbi)
- Rabbi Simon Glazer (1918)
- Rabbi Simon Winograd (1923-1929)
- Rabbi Soloman P. Wohlgelernter (1930-1947)
- Rabbi Gershin Appel (1948-1958)
- Rabbi Sholom Rivkin (1959-1969)
- Rabbi Moses Lodinsky (1972-1992)
- Rabbi Moshe Kletenik (present rabbi)
Bikur Cholim has long provided for Jewish education. The earliest documented date is 1898, when a Talmud Torah (after-school program in Hebrew and Torah) was established. Bikur Cholim allocated a parcel of land from its 13th Avenue and Washington Street site for this purpose. In 1920, the synagogue was a leader in establishing a city-wide Talmud Torah. In 1925, Bikur Cholim organized Yeshiva Rabeinu Hayim Ozer, a Jewish religious academy.
During World War I, when the Atlantic ports were closed to all but war-priority shipping, many European Jewish refugees entered through Pacific ports. Bikur Cholim took in many refugees and assisted with employment and resettlement. The Congregation was active in the Seattle Jewish War Relief Committee and in Hebrew Immigrant Aid.
This work continued with the establishment of the Hachnosas Orchim (welcoming the stranger) Society in 1932, which provided food and lodging for those in need.
As the Nazis rose to power in Germany, European refugees came to Seattle by the same route as refugees who fled in World War I -- through Russia, Siberia, China, Japan, and across the Pacific. The work of resettlement and help for refugees continued.
In 1964, Bikur Cholim merged with Yavneh Congregation. Yavneh membership had formed out of the need of Bikur Cholim members living in the Seward Park area to have a schul (service) within walking distance. These members had broken away from Bikur Cholim and reunited in 1964.
In 1971, Bikur Cholim changed its name, after 80 years. Reflecting a merger with Congregation Machzikay-Hadath (founded 1930), the name became Bikur Cholum-Machzikay-Hadath.
In 1966, Bikur Cholim purchased property in Seward Park. High Holy Day services were held in an interim synagogue on the site until 1972, at which time the completed synagogue was dedicated.
In 1990, the congregation erected an Eruv in Seward Park. Ordinarily, Halachah (Jewish laws and regulations) forbids carrying or pushing anything on Shabbat (Sabbath), but within the borders of the Eruv (a wire cord stretched from telephone pole to pole, in accordance with Orthodox law) worshippers may carry essentials and push baby strollers.
In 1991. Bikur Cholim celebrated its centennial. In 2004, Shabbat and holiday services typically draw 300 people, including 100 children. Bikur Cholim is the only synagogue in the city that conducts morning, afternoon, and evening services every day of the year.
Meta Buttnick, "Congregation Bikur-Cholim-Machzikay Hadath of Seattle: The Beginning Years," Western States Jewish History, Vol. 22, No. 2 (January 1990), 137-149; Golden Jubilee: 50 Year History, (Seattle: Congregation Bikur Cholim, 1941); The Guide to Jewish Washington (Seatttle: The Jewish Transcript, 1998); Bikur Cholim-Machzikay Hadath Congregation Website accessed September 9, 2004 (http://www.ou.org/network/ shuls/bikurcholim.htm).
Note: This essay was updated on September 9, 2004; the name of Rabbi Sholom Rivkin was corrected on September 19, 2012.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Jews in Washington |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You