Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6826 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

King County Landmarks: Fall City Hop Shed (1880), Fall City

HistoryLink.org Essay 2375 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: Fall City Riverfront Park, Fall City. This hop shed in the Fall City area is the last remnant of what was the largest agricultural enterprise in King County during the 1880s -- growing and exporting hops. Hops, an essential ingredient in brewing beer, became a major industry in valleys east and south of Seattle after hop aphids destroyed crops in traditional European hop growing centers. George Davis Rutherford built the rectangular building, measuring about 20 feet square, on a 1,500-acre hop farm near the Snoqualmie River. The building was used to dry hops before shipping, with the large vented cupola creating a draw for the heat generated by stoves. Low prices, the high cost of supplies, and infestation of the hop aphid brought an end to large-scale hop farming in the Snoqualmie Valley around the turn of the century. The building was moved to its present location in 1904, and converted for use as a storage shed. The Fall City Hop Shed Foundation has been instrumental in preservation of the shed, and in 1966 supervised its restoration.

 

Sources:
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Agriculture | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
King County
National Trust for Historic Preservation


Fall City Hop Shed, Fall City
Courtesy Mark Ruwedel


Fall City Hop Shed, Fall City
Courtesy Mark Ruwedel


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org