< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
King County Landmarks: Dockton General Store and Post Office (1908, 1922), Dockton, Maury Island
HistoryLink.org Essay 2345
: Printer-Friendly Format
Located in the community of Dockton on the southwestern part of Maury Island, the general store and post office building is the only well preserved example of an early 20th century commercial building on Maury Island. Like other country stores on Vashon Island, the Dockton General Store was built close to the water in order to serve customers who traveled by boat. As the automobile brought greater mobility to rural residents, many small stores suffered as their former customers traveled to more regional stores and markets. The owners of the Dockton store defied this trend by offering automobile repair service and selling gasoline, thus ensuring that their customers with cars still visited the Dockton store. The store was restored in the early 1990s for use as office space.
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You