Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle's Sand Point Park is renamed Warren G. Magnuson Park and officially opened on May 29, 1977.

HistoryLink.org Essay 2241 : Printer-Friendly Format

On May 29, 1977, Sand Point Park is renamed Warren G. Magnuson Park and officially opened before cheering supporters and glum picketers. Senator Magnuson (1905-1989) tells the crowd that a $700,000 federal grant to build new facilities won approval the previous Friday.

In addition to Senator Magnuson, Mayor Wes Uhlman (b. 1935) and City Councilwoman Jeanette Williams (1914-2008) were guests of honor. Both had both worked to create the park and to close down the existing airport at the site.

Picketers criticized the closing of the airport and the location of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Western headquarters nearby. It was also considered unusual to name a park for a living person.

The Navy had declared the land at Sand Point surplus. Part of the land (100 acres) became the Western headquarters of NOAA. Another 195.6 acres land became Warren G. Magnuson Park.

Sources:
John O'Ryan, "Warren Magnuson Park Dedicated at Sand Point," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 30, 1977, p. A-1.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Government & Politics | Environment |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Seattle Parks & Recreation Dept.


Warren Magnuson at the twilight of his 48 year career
Courtesy UW Special Collections


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org