Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6805 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Schwabacher's erects Seattle's first brick building on October 24, 1872.

HistoryLink.org Essay 1962 : Printer-Friendly Format

On about October 24, 1872, Seattle's first brick building, constructed by Schwabacher Bros. & Company  is completed. It stands on the west side of Commercial Street (1st Avenue S) just south of Mill Street (Yesler Way). In it Schwabacher's opens a general store and wholesale house which purveys everything "from a needle to an anchor." The Seattle branch of Schwabacher Bros. & Company is managed by firm partner Bailey Gatzert (1829-1893), an important figure in Seattle commercial and social life.  
 
A Fine Appearance

The Puget Sound Dispatch wrote:

"[t]he magnificent new brick, iron front, store building for Schwabacher Bros. & Co. presents a fine appearance, fully equal to the best upon Front street, in Portland [Oregon]" (Dispatch September 5, 1872).

The brick Schwabacher building was the second building in Seattle not constructed entirely of wood. (The first was Dexter Horton's bank with its stone front built on the northwest corner of Commercial and Washington streets.) The new building used Chuckanut sandstone for the basement and brick for the two upper floors.

Seattle architect A. B. Rabbeson drew up the plans, and in March 1872, the firm Lord and Hall cleared the site. They moved three buildings: the Railroad House hotel, Western Terminus Hotel, and the Pioneer Bathing Saloon. The firm of Atkins and Cheney put in the foundation, using their pile driver to drive in some 400 piles. The foundation was completed by early June 1872.

The Mayor of Seattle, J. T. Jordan, headed the masons who laid the sandstone and brick. For the storefront, Jordan installed ironwork shipped from San Francisco, and French plate glass windows. Palmer and Bros. & Co. designed and constructed the cabinets and finished the interior. Arthur Doyle did the ornamental wood work. A wharf with warehouse attached was built adjoining the building one-half block west of Commercial Street at Elliott Bay.

Needles, Boots, Liquors, Anchors...

On October 24, 1872, the paper reported that the firm opened "with an immense stock of goods, including every thing in the line of trade, literally ‘from a needle to an anchor,’ embracing dry goods, groceries, and hard-ware, crockery, clothing, boots and shoes, liquors, tobaccoes [sic], ship supplies, farming and mining implements, iron, steel, nails, glass, and every other merchantable commodity that can be thought of" (Dispatch, October 24, 1872).

Schwabacher manager Bailey Gatzert was married to Babette Schwabacher, sister of the Schwabacher brothers Abraham, Louis, and Sigmund, merchants based in the Walla Walla valley. The Gatzerts were important figures in Seattle business and social life, and Bailey Gatzert, elected mayor in 1875, was Seattle's first and to date (1999) only Jewish mayor.

Sources:
Puget Sound Dispatch March 21, 1872, p. 2, 3; Ibid., June 6, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., July 11, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., July 25, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., September 5, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., October 24, 1872, p. 1; Ibid., October 24, 1872, p. 1; The Weekly Intelligencer March 11, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., March 25, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., March 15, 1872, p. 3; Ibid., May 27, 1872 p. 3; Ibid., September 30, 1872, p. 3; Historylink.org, The Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Gatzert, Bailey," (by Lee Micklin), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed 1999).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Business | Firsts | Jews in Washington |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Schwabacher General Merchandise, Seattle, 1884
Courtesy The West Shore magazine, 1884


John T. Jordan, Seattle Mayor, 1871
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives


Bailey Gatzert (1829-1893), 1875
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org