Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

AFM Local 493, Seattle's "Negro Musicians' Union," holds big benefit bash on May 29, 1951.

HistoryLink.org Essay 10330 : Printer-Friendly Format

On May 29, 1951, American Federation of Musicians (AFM) Seattle Local 493 produces a major benefit concert and dance to raise money for its new offices and its relief fund. At the time Local 493, organized some three decades earlier by black musicians denied access to Seattle's first musicians' union, is one of two racially segregated AFM locals in the city. Its "1951 Orchestra Cavalcade" benefit features nine local African American bands performing uptown in the grand Senator Ballroom of Eagles Hall.

 A Tale of Two Unions  

The first musicians' union in Seattle to form and survive a significant amount of time was the Musicians' Association of Seattle, American Federation of Musicians Local 76, in 1898. Like similar unions across America at the time, it represented the interests of white musicians. Non-white players were rebuffed repeatedly by Local 76, whose unacceptable best offer, a proposed two-tiered Jim Crow membership system, came in 1913. Efforts then began to form a separate union. In 1918, Local 76 gave its approval, required by AFM rules, for the formation of AFM Local 458, which would represent black and other minority musicians.

However tension between the two unions erupted frequently over turf issues: 76 claimed all of the downtown territory that included the lucrative ballroom, theater, and hotel jobs, leaving 458 the scraps of speakeasies and dives of the tenderloin district in the oldest part of town below Yesler Way and along Jackson Street east towards Chinatown. Local 76 succeeded in having the newer local's charter revoked in April 1924. But a new replacement union, Local 493, received a charter that November and was formally created on December 9, 1924.

Over the following two decades Local 493 held its meetings in various locations (including, awkwardly, in Local 76's office where members of 493 were not welcome to socialize), but in April 1951 the union (which then had 83 members) happily purchased its own modest office building at 1319 E Jefferson Street in Seattle. This was used both as headquarters and as a private nightclub, formally incorporated as the "Musicians' Blue Note Club, Inc." but soon known as simply the Blue Note.

United Effort 

Facing the costs of remodeling their new offices -- as well as the ever-present need to refill the organization's relief-fund coffers -- union members drew up plans for holding a benefit concert. Nine of Seattle's most prominent black bands were recruited to perform and, with the assistance of Seattle's Gay Ladies Social Club, the Beta Kappa Chapter of the Iota Phi Lambda Sorority, and publicity provided by The Seattle Daily Times, everything was set for a splendid time.

The venue selected for the event was the grand Senator Ballroom of Eagles Hall at 1416 7th Avenue in Seattle, a site that Local 76 long jealously guarded as its domain. The building was originally constructed in 1925 as headquarters for the Fraternal Order of Eagles (a social club founded in Seattle in 1898 by, interestingly, a group of theater owners who first got together in part to cooperate against [white] musicians' efforts to organize a strike). By the 1950s its various auditoriums and ballrooms were being rented out for political rallies, boxing matches, and, mainly on off-nights, for African American-oriented activities.

The Orchestra Cavalcade  

On the Tuesday evening of May 29 nine ensembles performed at the 1951 Orchestra Cavalcade. In addition to prominent big-band orchestras and combos, the show also included solo vocalists and some comedy routines. The full program that night included:

FIRST HALF:

  • Blues Interpretations (Vernon Brown Orch)
  • Standard Jazz Revelries (Joe Gauff Band)
  • Progressive Swing Classics (Bob Marshall Sextet)
  • Modern "Bop" Variations (Billy Tolles's Combo-Clashers)
  • Mellow Pianistics (Len Brook)
  • Entertaining Specialties (Bumps Blackwell Orch)

SECOND HALF  

  • Musical Comedy (Jabo Ward Combo)
  • Original Torch Vocalization (Merceedees Walton)
  • Novel Instrumental Versatility (Four Question Marks)
  • Futuristic "Bop" Improvisation (Cecil Young Quartet)
  • "Jam Session" (Al Hickey's Jive Bombers)
Of these luminaries of the local jazz scene, it should be noted that Robert A. "Bumps" Blackwell (1918-1985) helped launch the careers of Ray Charles (1930-2004), Quincy Jones (b. 1933), Sam Cooke (1931-1964), and Little Richard (b. 1932); sax-man Billy Tolles (1924-2005) helped introduce Seattle to swing, bebop, rhythm & blues, and, later, rock 'n' roll, with a series of combos that included the Savoy Boys, Billy Tolles and his Men of Jive, the Combo-Clashers, the Four Question Marks, and the Vibrators. Merceedees A. Walton's (1912?-2000) rollicking piano work and spirited singing long thrilled fans at the Sorrento Hotel's Top o' the Town room and (from 1952 to 1956) on her own trail-blazing daily Music With Merceedees program on KING-TV. Cecil Young (ca. 1920-ca. 1975) has been credited with debuting bebop jazz in the Northwest.  

The following year, on May 29, 1952, Local 493 held a second annual Orchestra Cavalcade, this time at the Trianon Ballroom in Seattle at 218 Wall Street. It featured the same entertainers as the first show, but with the addition of the area's premier Dixieland band, the Rainy City Jazz Band, and Seattle's soon-to-be-famous jazz diva, Ernestine Anderson (b. 1928).

Sources:
"Musicians' Club Acquires Quarters," The Seattle Times, April 14, 1951, p. 2; "9 Orchestras to Present Union Benefit Concert," Ibid., May 27, 1951, p. 9; "'Cavalcade' of Music to Be Given May 29," Ibid., May 21, 1952, p. 19; David Keller, "Seattle's Segregated Musicians' Union, Local 493 (1918-1956)" (master of arts thesis, Western Washington University, 1996), pp. 26, 51-52, 134; "1951 Orchestra Cavalcade" program (Seattle, 1951), 2, 7, 13, Peter Blecha collection, Seattle, Washington; HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "'Negro Musicians' Union,' AFM Seattle Local 493 (1918-1958)" (by Peter Blecha), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed February 19, 2013).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Black Americans | Music & Musicians | Organizations | Labor |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Local 76-493, American Federation of Musicians


Program, "Orchestra Cavalcade," Seattle, 1951
Courtesy Peter Blecha Collection


The Blue Note nightclub, black musicians' union Local 493 offices, 1319 E. Jefferson Street, Seattle, ca. 1951
Courtesy Peter Blecha Collection


Article, Local 493 American Federation of Musicians new headquarters and social club, Seattle, April 14, 1951
Courtesy The Seattle Times


News article, "Orchestra Cavalcade," Seattle, May 27, 1951
Courtesy The Seattle Times


Bar and piano (against far wall), Blue Note nightclub, Seattle, ca. 1951
Courtesy Peter Blecha Collection


Cecil Young Quartet, ca. 1951
Courtesy King Records


The Four Question Marks, ca. 1951
Courtesy Peter Blecha Collection


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org