< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Gig Harbor in Pierce County is incorporated as a fourth-class town on July 12, 1946.
HistoryLink.org Essay 10270
: Printer-Friendly Format
On July 12, 1946, Gig Harbor in Pierce County is officially incorporated as a fourth-class town. The Twa-Wal-Kut band of Indians had occupied this snug bay on Puget Sound for centuries and Euro-American settlers had lived there since 1867. Yet, the village of Gig Harbor resists incorporation until after World War II, when residents finally decide they need reliable municipal water, sewer, and fire protection. The vote is 141 in favor of incorporation and 115 against. The town grows substantially after the second Tacoma Narrows Bridge is finished in 1950, putting the town within commuting distance of Tacoma. In the 1970 census, the population will double to 1,657. By 2010, the population will have boomed to 7,126 and this one-time fishing village will become a popular retirement spot and tourist destination.
incorporation vote took place on June 29, 1946. It was the second
incorporation vote -- a previous vote in 1945 narrowly failed. The
Pierce County Election Board certified the election results on July
3, 1946, and the Pierce County Commissioners filed an incorporation
resolution on July 9, 1946. The state officially declared Gig Harbor
incorporated on July 12, 1946.
On the same
ballot, voters chose the town's first mayor, Dr. Harold H. Ryan, a
prominent dentist, with 101 votes compared to only 37 for his closest
competitor. Voters also chose a five-person city council, consisting
of grocers Keith Uddenberg and John Finholm, fishermen Emmett Ross
and Antone Stanich, and lumber mill owner C. O. Austin. Leander
Finholm was elected treasurer.
council held its first meetings "around a pot-bellied stove in
the GAR Hall," in the Grand Army of the Republic lodge building
(Evans, p. 5). The town did not build a town hall until 1965.
fishing village of Gig Harbor had long had two separate business
districts. The harbor's west side, originally called Millville, was
the center of the town's substantial Croatian fishing community. The
head of the harbor, on the north end, had a more Scandinavian
character. They had long since grown together into one close-knit
community and the new town included both parts of town in a unified
the city of Gig Harbor encompasses a six-square-mile area north,
south, and west of the harbor.
Incorporation Resolution, Resolution No. 2206, July 9, 1946, File No. 992, Pierce County Board of Commissioners, from Municipal Articles of Incorporation, Washington State Archives; J. A. Eckrom, An Excellent Little Bay: A History of the Gig Harbor Peninsula (Gig Harbor: The Gig Harbor Peninsula Historical Society and Museum, 2004); Jack R. Evans, Little History of Gig Harbor, Washington (Seattle: SCW Publications, 1988).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You