< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
New Richmond Laundry
HistoryLink.org Essay 10206
: Printer-Friendly Format
224 Pontius Avenue N
Architect: Max Umbrecht, 1917, with subsequent additions.
Commissioned by laundryman and former Seattle City Council member
William H. Weaver as the Metropolitan Laundry, this facility initially
specialized in family (rather than commercial, hotel, or hospital)
laundry. Two additions share the original building's brick facade.
Over the years the businesses operating from the New Richmond
Laundry building included the PRIM Laundry, Pantorium Laundry, and
Pantorium Dye Works.
Over time, operations included steam-powered laundry and dye works, a
gas-powered commercial laundry, a dry cleaning facility, and hospital
laundry for the University of Washington. On November 3, 1999, the New
Richmond Laundry was designated a City of Seattle Landmark. At that time
it was the sole working survivor among the South Lake Union/Cascade
neighborhood's once-numerous steam laundry facilities.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You