Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Sponsor of Week Featured Essay BooksDonate
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6991 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Mobile App Location Library


Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant Essay 10192 : Printer-Friendly Format

700 Fairview Avenue N

Architect: John Graham Sr., 1913

The Ford Motor Company constructed this five-story regional assembly plant for Model T modules shipped from Detroit. It was one of Seattle's earliest large scale reinforced-concrete buildings and one of Ford's earliest regional assembly plants. Architect John Graham Sr. went on to serve as principal architect for Ford. He also designed many Seattle landmarks including the Joshua Green Building, the Seattle Yacht Club, and the Exchange Building. Henry Ford chose Seattle as a Model T assembly point after visiting the city in 1909 during the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. Ford assembly plants built between 1913-1920 in Buffalo, Toronto, New York, Portland, and Dallas used the Seattle plant's design. By the late 1920s Ford needed a larger factory and in 1932 moved production to a one-floor plant at 4730 East Marginal Way. Ironically, plunging automobile sales during the Great Depression forced him to end production at that plant less than a year later.

In 1935 Fuller Paint Company purchased the building, adding a loading dock and installing four 25,000-gallon tanks at the southeast corner of the site to store linseed oil and turpentine. Craftsman Press, for many years Washington's largest printer, acquired the building in 1965. Until 1995 the Burlington Northern Railroad ran across Fairview Avenue to a spur on the south side of the building. After this service ceased, Craftsman sold the building to Shurgard Storage. Shurgard corporate offices occupied the building's top floor and mini-storage units filled the lower levels. In August 2006 Public Storage, Inc. of Glendale, California, purchased Shurgard. As of May 2007 the Ford Assembly Plant Building houses only storage units. On August 17, 1998, the Ford Assembly Plant Building was designated a City of Seattle landmark.


Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

Ford Motor Company assembly plant (John Graham Sr., 1913), Seattle, 1928
Courtesy MOHAI

Former Ford Motor Company Assembly Plant, Seattle, July 27, 2007 photo by Paula Becker

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email