< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Washington's Black Army Camps -- Camp Hathaway, Camp George Jordan, South Fort Lewis
HistoryLink.org Essay 10127
: Printer-Friendly Format
United States society and its military continued to be segregated during World War II. This segregation included separate camps for blacks or separate housing areas within larger installation. During the war, Washington had three black army camps: Camp Hathaway in Vancouver, Camp George Jordan in Seattle, and South Fort Lewis near Tacoma. There were also separate black encampments within Fort
Lawton, McChord Field, and North Fort Lewis.
Camps Hathaway and Jordan closed at the end of World War II. South Fort Lewis remained in operation until the Korean War, and was closed in July 1950.
Race and the Military before and after World War II
The struggle for equality for blacks was intense during World War II as the United States fought in a global war.
During that war blacks were enlisted in restricted numbers and denied
On July 26, 1948, President
Harry S. Truman (1884-1972) issued executive Order 9981, which ended
segregation in the military. After two years of planning and
implementation, in 1950
integration became a reality.
Although integration came only
after a long and hard struggle, once the military achieved integration
and made it work well, it became a model institution for racial
equality. For blacks, World War II became a double-V effort -- V for victory
over the enemies of freedom and another V for victory over racial injustice.
Camp Hathaway, Vancouver.
Camp Hathaway housed blacks
who worked at the Portland Sub-port of Embarkation and black soldiers headed
overseas. The camp was established in September 1942 and located on the north
side of Vancouver Barracks. More than 100 wood-frame mobilization buildings went up
there. This included the common two-story barracks, one-story mess halls, day
rooms, and a chapel. The camp's name honored Jeremiah S. Hathaway (1824-1876),
who served as a major in the Washington Territorial Volunteers during the
1855-1856 Indian Wars. Hathaway became a prominent Clark County resident, helping
to settle the area and serving as a county judge.
Camp Hathaway's black soldiers
loaded and unloaded ships at the Portland sub-port. They also
drove trucks and did warehouse work. In addition to permanent personnel,
black units heading overseas used Camp Hathaway as a staging area, staying at the camp a short time while waiting to be shipped out.
While there, soldiers would complete their paperwork, get necessary
shots, receive a complete issue of uniforms and equipment, and engage in physical
Physical conditioning went on rain or shine and included long daily
hikes, training in abandoning ship, and running an obstacle course. Sports
teams were formed to occupy off-duty hours and improve conditioning and morale,
and the Portland and Vancouver communities collected sports and recreation
equipment for those teams. Additional support came from the American Red Cross, which
collected and repaired donated furniture for the camp day-rooms. Chaperoned
black hostesses came to the camp for dances, and soldiers on liberty visited
Portland and the black USO there.
With the end of the war Camp
Hathaway was deemed excess, but the adjacent Vancouver Barracks would be
retained. In August 1947, the United States War Assets Administration turned
over Camp Hathaway, with its 147 acres and 62 temporary buildings, to the Vancouver
School District. The school district developed the site into a vocational
college, using some of the existing buildings and constructing a new instructional
facility, the Applied Arts Building. It cost over $1 million dollars and was
ready for the September 1950 start of the Clark Junior College school year. The
building had a print shop, machine shop, automotive shop, and rooms for business
administration, agriculture courses, and other subjects. The college also
acquired surplus buildings in the Ogden Meadows wartime-housing project a few
blocks east of the campus. They had offices in former Ogden Meadows administrative
buildings. In 1951 Clark College made the former medical clinic there a school for training practical nurses.
Today (2012) Clark College, a
private institution, occupies the former camp. The World War II construction
has been replaced by new college buildings.
Camp George Jordan, Seattle
A camp for black soldiers opened
in August 1942 on the south side of S Spokane Street at 1st Avenue S
in Seattle. On November 29, 1943, it was dedicated to black Medal of Honor recipient George Jordan (1847-1904). Jordan was serving in the 9th United States Cavalry when,
on August 12, 1881, he displayed exceptional valor. Commanding only 19 soldiers
at Carrizo Canyon, New Mexico, he held his position despite attacks from about
200 Indians. He stayed in the army, reaching the rank of first sergeant before
retiring to Nebraska. He is buried in the Fort McPherson National Cemetery in
The camp served the Seattle
Port of Embarkation and housed 200 soldiers. It was a temporary facility, with
116 "theater of operations" buildings. These were single-story, rough-wood structures with tar-paper siding and roofs. The uninsulated barracks had pot-belly
stoves that made the rooms too hot for those nearby and too cold for everyone
else. These black soldiers did some of the hardest work with the least glory.
They loaded ships, emptied and filled warehouses, and drove trucks and buses.
They had few recreational facilities, although the camp did have basketball and
baseball teams that played in Seattle leagues and against college teams, such
as Bellingham's Western Washington college, in exhibition games. In 1944, the camp's
basketball team won the Seattle Service League championship. Liberty time was
spent in Seattle, and the black USO was a popular spot.
Many Camp Jordan soldiers
advanced in the army and contributed to postwar America's success. Sam
Smith (1922-1995), born in Louisiana, arrived at the camp in 1942. He became a
warrant officer and decided to stay in Seattle after leaving the service.
Smith would serve five terms in the Washington State Legislature and was the
first black Seattle city councilmember. He fought for social justice his entire
life. Sam Smith Park, built on a lid over the Interstate 90 highway, is named
in his honor.
Frank Roberts (1919-1989), who
served as a white officer at the camp, later described the Jordan troops as the
finest he had commanded during his military career. Roberts would become a King
County Superior Court judge. He served in the Army Reserve after the war, retiring
as a colonel. Another camp soldier,
Alfred Powell (1922-2004), demonstrated his
motivation and skill in reaching the rank of major, having served in World War
II and the Korean War. Although born in Arkansas, Powell decided to make Seattle
his home and attended Seattle University. He later became an
official with the Bonneville Power Administration. Powell and other veterans
attended postwar Jordan Veterans Association meetings in Seattle.
Camp George Jordan closed in
1946 and was declared surplus in March 1947. Its buildings were removed and the
site returned to industrial use.
South Fort Lewis, Fort Lewis
During World War II, Fort
Lewis expanded greatly with the addition of three new cantonments. North Fort
Lewis was erected across Highway 99 (today Interstate 5) from the existing fort. Another,
near Camp Murray, became Northeast Fort Lewis. On the south side near the
DuPont Gate (today at Exit 119 of Interstate 5), South Fort Lewis was
established. It had 110 wood-frame temporary mobilization buildings constructed
in 1941. This cantonment was a separate camp for black soldiers and included
typical two-story barracks, mess halls, administrative buildings, recreation
center, theater, and service club.
South Fort Lewis had a separate
black chapel. It was dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1941, in a ceremony that included
the famous black athlete, baritone singer, and political activist Paul Robeson
(1898-1976). A banquet and reception followed the dedication, with black
clergymen from Seattle and Portland as special guests. Paul Robeson also gave
afternoon concerts at McChord Field and Fort Lewis. The performances featured
his popular songs "Ol' Man River" and "I Got Plenty of
Nuttin'." Paul Robeson would become a noted civil rights activist and a controversial
The units at South Fort Lewis
included the 55th Ordnance Company; 2nd Battalion, 47th Quartermaster Regiment; 563rd Quartermaster Service Battalion; and transportation units. To aid morale
and cohesiveness, an extensive sports program was instituted. The 55th Ordnance
black softball team won 50 of its 54 games in 1941. There were also black
football teams, including the Staging Area Streaks and the Brown Bombers.
A few blacks were allowed to
play on the main Fort Lewis teams. Ford Smith (1919-1983), a right-handed pitcher,
won games for the Fort Lewis Warriors baseball team in 1942 before going on to
flight school. Following the war, Smith was a leading pitcher on the Negro
League's Kansas City Monarchs and later director of the Arizona Civil Rights
Jonas Gaines (1915-1998), who
had played for the National Colored League's Baltimore Elite Giants, was an outstanding
left-handed pitcher for the 1943 Fort Lewis Warriors. Lucius Dennis (1924-2004),
a former Harlem Globetrotter, played center on the 1944-1945 Warrior basketball
team. This limited sports integration in the military preceded and set an
example for integration in the civilian sports world.
In 1950 a black unit, the 3rd
Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, was stationed at South
Fort Lewis. By June 1950 the Fort Lewis military population, including all the
cantonments, housed 20,000 soldiers, with blacks comprising 30 percent of the
total. The post was moving to integrate its facilities there, but it was the Korean
War and the need for a more effective structure that led to the end of
segregation. The 2nd Infantry Division with its black 3rd Battalion, 9th
Infantry Regiment, was the first division to ship out for Korea. The 9th Regiment
was quickly integrated and had a distinguished war record.
After the shipping out of the
2nd Infantry Division to the Korea War, South Fort Lewis was closed. The
underused buildings were demolished in the 1960s.
Vancouver, Washington," ArmyAirforce.com website accessed April 16, 2012 (http://forum.armyairforces.com/Camp-Hatheway-
College Prepares to Open $1,000,000 First Unit On Permanent 157-Acre on
Ex-Barracks Site," The Oregonian,
October 5, 1951, p. 47; "Practical Nursing Course to Start at Clark
College," Ibid., September 5, 1950, p. 9; "First Avenue
Cantonment Is Named for Hero," The
Seattle Daily Times, November 11, 1943, p. 7; Don Duncan, "Camp George
Jordan, A Nonglory Post," The
Seattle Daily Times Magazine,
November 29, 1970, p. 4; "Camp
Jordan Held Surplus," The Seattle
Daily Times, March 10, 1947, p. 12; "Thanksgiving's Frosty and Fair,"
The Seattle Daily Times, November 20, 1941, p. 4; "Softball Title
At Stake Today," The Seattle Daily
Times, September 7, 1941, p. 8.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
War & Peace |
Black Americans |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You
Sam Smith, 1974
Photo by George Somoff, Courtesy The Black Heritage Society of Washington State
Jonas Gaines (1915-1998)
Paul Robeson (1898-1976)
Courtesy King County
Camp Hathaway chapel, moved to Vancouver, Vancouver, August 2012
Courtesy Joint Base Lewis-McChord Cultural Resources Program