Chief Seattle Thelma Dewitty Thomas Foley Carrie Chapman Catt Anna Louise Strong Mark Tobey Helene Madison Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6772 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle's 12th Avenue South (Dearborn Street) Bridge is built in 1911.

HistoryLink.org Essay 8437 : Printer-Friendly Format

In 1911, Seattle's 12th Avenue South or Dearborn Street Bridge is erected. It is one of the first permanent steel bridges build in Seattle. In 1974 it will be renamed the Jose Rizal Bridge (for the Filipino hero). In 2007 it is the state's oldest steel-arch bridge.

The steel-arch bridge carries 12th Avenue S over Dearborn Street to Beacon Hill. It was a project of Seattle City Engineer R. H. Thomson (1856-1949) and was required after the City regraded the hilly area separating downtown Seattle from the residential areas in the Rainier Valley.

It features "a 171-foot, spandrel-braced arch with Pratt-style web trussing, a 94-foot cantilever span at the south end, and a 96-foot cantilever span to the north" (Holstine and Hobbs). The original bridge had timber approaches.

In the spring of 1917, in the midst of regrading Beacon Hill and during heavy rains, a mudslide destroyed the southern timber approach and shifted the bridge about 30 inches north. The City rebuilt the approach and repaired the bridge.

In 1924 the timber approaches were replaced with six concrete bent approach spans. Trolley lines were removed and a 42-foot-wide roadway was put in place. Further changes were made in 1966 and 1967 during construction of the Interstate 5 and Interstate 90 interchange.

Sources:
Craig Holstein and Richard Hobbs, Spanning Washington: Historic Highway Bridges of the Evergreen State (Pullman: WSU Press, 2005), 152-153.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Bridges |

Related Topics: Roads & Rails |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




12th Avenue South Bridge or Dearborn Street Bridge (later Rizal Bridge), Seattle, February 16, 1937
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives


12th Avenue South Bridge or Dearborn Street Bridge (later Rizal Bridge), Seattle, October 24, 1917
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org