Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Featured Essay
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
7099 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

An American mob crosses the Canadian border and lynches 14-year-old Louie Sam, a member of the Sto:lo tribe, on February 24, 1884. Essay 7592 : Printer-Friendly Format

On February 24, 1884, an American mob crosses the Canadian border and lynches 14-year-old Louie Sam, a member of the Sto:lo tribe. Louie Sam was a suspect in the murder of Nooksack (future Whatcom County) shopkeeper James Bell. Sto:lo leaders had turned the boy over to the police, believing he would be treated justly. He was in the custody of a B.C. deputy when the American mob captured him and hanged him from a tree just north of the border. A Canadian investigation at the time provides evidence that the boy was almost certainly innocent and that two of the leaders of the lynch mob were the likely murderers of James Bell.

Louie Sam

Louie Sam lived just north of the border in the small Sto:lo community of Kilgard, near present-day Sumas, Washington. He went to Nooksack after being offered a job there, but discovered that there was no work. He returned home that night, the same night on which a Nooksack shopkeeper, James Bell, was murdered and his store set on fire.

After two local men accused the boy of the murder, Sto:lo leaders turned him over to the authorities. He was in custody when a hundred American vigilantes crossed the border on horseback, captured him, hanged him, and rode back into Washington Territory.

Keith Carlson, professor of history at the University of Saskatchewan, and Sonny McHalsie, Sto:lo historian, originally reconstructed the archival record of the lynching from documents in the B.C. Archives. Carlson recounts that upon discovering the lynching, leaders of the 21 Sto:lo tribes in the Fraser Valley were incensed. A delegation of some 200 Sto:lo from more than 20 communities between Fort Langley and Yale in the Fraser Canyon gathered to consider "the best means of obtaining justice" (Carlson).

They met for a week, and summoned Canadian Indian agent Patrick McTiernan. McTiernan's notes record that some believed that the community had "a perfect right to ... hang and kill sixty-five Americans." On the second day, he recorded that the belief was unanimous in feeling "fully justified in going immediately in very large numbers across the boundary line and tak[ing] the first white man and bring[ing] him to the spot where they hung the Indian and treat[ing] him in the same manner" (Carlson). McTiernan assured them that Her Majesty's government would bring Louie's murderers to justice and tribal leaders decided to try this option instead of conducting the traditional raid.

To appease the Sto:lo, British Columbia authorities sent two B.C. police officers south to investigate, disguised as laborers. They returned with statements from witnesses that implicated two Washington men. William Osterman, the Nooksack telegraph operator, had invited Louie to travel south for a job, and just as they reached the store, turned and told Louie to "go away." Osterman later took over Bell's business, and the Sto:lo (along with a few of his Nooksack neighbors) believed him to be Bell's murderer. Another ringleader of the mob was David Harkness, who was living with James Bell's estranged wife Annette. Harkness's sister was married to William Osterman.

The British Columbia government asked the Washington Territorial government to turn over the two men to stand trial for the boy's murder, but the territorial government declined to cooperate and British Columbia dropped the case.

The Apology

In September 2005, British Columbia Lt. Governor Iona Campagnolo asked Washington Lt. Governor Brad Owen to join her in urging both the B.C. and Washington state governments to apologize to the Sto:lo Nation. On March 1, 2006, Washington legislators approved a resolution offering the government's "deepest sympathy" to the descendants of Louie Sam, and acknowledged that he had been wrongly accused.

Lt. Gov. Brad Owen, who sponsored the resolution, hosted a series of "healing circle" drum ceremonies with Sto:lo tribal leaders, members of Washington's Makah and Quileute tribes, and a B.C. government representative. One of these was held in the rotunda of the Washington state capitol building.

Sonny McHalsie, treaty director for the Sto:lo Nation, said, "It's our belief that someone who ends his life in a tragic way, as Louie Sam did, is not at rest." The Sto:lo believe that when someone dies, it's important to let them go so they can move on to the spirit world. "Every time we mention Louie Sam's name, it's like we keep calling him back," said McHalsie ("State Offers Apology"). He said the gesture will help provide spiritual closure for the tribe.

"Ralph Thomas, "Injustice of 1884 on State Agenda for 2006," The Seattle Times, December 29, 2005 (; Associated Press, "British Columbia Seeks Apology for 1884 Lynching by US Vigilantes," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 24, 2005 (; Terry Glavin, "Only Lynching in Canada's History," Winnipeg Free Press, November 27, 2005 (; Keith Thor Carlson, "The Lynching of Louie Sam," BC Studies, No. 109 (Spring 1996), p. 63-79; Ralph Thomas, "State Offers Apology for Lynching," The Seattle Times, March 1, 2006 (; Rachel La Corte, "Teen Lynched by Mob Honored in Wash. State, The Bellingham Herald, March 2, 2006.
Note: This essay was updated on March 2, 2006.

Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Crime | American Indians | Northwest Indians |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email