Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cybertour Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Ellensburg Cybertour

HistoryLink.org Essay 7541

Click here to start the tour

This is a Cybertour of historic Ellensburg, including the Downtown Ellensburg Historic District, the First Railroad Addition Historic District, and the Kittitas County Fairgrounds District. It was written and curated by Paula Becker with the assistance of Historic Ellensburg, the Kittitas County Historical Museum, and Ellensburg librarian Milton Wagy. Preparation of this feature was made possible by an appropriation from the Washington State Legislature administered by the State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation.

Ellensburg is located in the Kittitas Valley at the geographic center of Washington and is home to Central Washington University and the annual Ellensburg Rodeo. The site was an important gathering place for the Kittitas, Yakama, and other tribes, and with the coming of non-Indian settlers became a center for banking, commerce, and education. The Northern Pacific Railroad arrived in Ellensburg 1886.

John Shoudy platted a town site he called Ellensburgh in honor of his wife, Mary Ellen, in 1875. The final “h” was dropped by the post office in 1894. The original town plat was the area between Water and Ruby streets from 1st to 7th Avenues. Ellensburg was incorporated on January 1, 1884, already a bustling city with great prospects.

On July 4, 1889, a devastating fire swept through the town, consuming more than 200 Victorian-era frame buildings and leveling 10 business blocks. The town immediately mobilized to rebuild, as is evident by the fact that many buildings bear the marking “1889.” Bricks were the building material of choice, and within a month of the fire, seven new brickyards were in business in Ellensburg. These local bricks were a soft orange color and were used primarily on rear and side walls. Pressed bricks with a smooth finish, imported by rail from as far away as Chicago, were used for front facades. Most buildings were designed in the Italianate style, distinguished by tall narrow windows and doors, recessed storefront entries, segmental arch shapes, decorative stained glass used in transom windows, cast stone trim, and entablatures made of pressed sheet metal. The Geddis, Cadwell, and Davidson blocks survive intact from 1889, and many more buildings of the same vintage survive as testament to Ellensburg’s massive rebuilding efforts.

Ellensburg also has buildings constructed between 1900 and 1920 that are designed along more classical lines with less verticality, no applied stone or metal decorative elements, more brick corbelling at rooflines, and fewer arched openings. Some older buildings were remodeled in this style. During the 1920s and 1930s some Art Deco style buildings were constructed, and other buildings remodeled along these lines.

The entire downtown historic district, an area roughly bounded by 3rd and 6th avenues, and Main and Ruby streets, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1977. The First Railroad Historic District, roughly bounded by 10th Avenue, D Street, 9th Avenue, and N Main Street, was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 8, 1987. Ellensburg’s downtown serves as a valuable example of an intact Western pioneer town business district, ca. 1889.

Click here to start the tour


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation


Ellensburg rodeo sign painted on a brick building, October 2003
HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long


First Methodist Church, Ellensburg, ca. 1910
Postcard


Davidson Building (1890), Ellensburg, 2005
Photo by Paula Becker


Ellensburg, 1950s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org