< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Mercer Island beginnings: East Seattle Post Office opens on March 1, 1904.
HistoryLink.org Essay 586
: Printer-Friendly Format
On March 1, 1904, East Seattle Post Office opens. Frank F. Sandell is appointed the first postmaster. Mail is distributed from a building near the East Seattle dock.
On April 14, 1924, the town name East Seattle was changed to Mercer Island. Mercer Island is located five miles east of Seattle in Lake Washington.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 674-675.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You