< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
West Seattle beginnings: Humphrey Post Office (later Youngstown) opens on January 13, 1903.
HistoryLink.org Essay 577
: Printer-Friendly Format
On January 13, 1903, Humphrey Post Office opens. John W. Reed is appointed the first postmaster. Humphrey, renamed Youngstown on July 19, 1905, is located in present-day West Seattle three miles south of the business district of Seattle within the future city limits.
During 1904, the Seattle Steel Company started manufacturing steel, the first to be produced in King County. The company, owned by William Piggott (1860-1929), was located in Youngstown.
In 1907, Youngstown was annexed to Seattle.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 668-669.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You