< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Ravensdale beginnings: Ravensdale Post Office opens on December 21, 1901.
HistoryLink.org Essay 575
: Printer-Friendly Format
On December 21, 1901, Ravensdale Post Office opens. William C. Jones is appointed postmaster. The original post office building is located 300 feet west of the Ravensdale Railroad depot.
Ravensdale was a King County coal town located four miles northeast of Black Diamond. It was situated on the Northern Pacific Railroad line. In 1904, the Washington Bureau of Statistics reported that the coalmine in Ravensdale, owned by the Northwest Improvement Co., produced 183,883 tons of coal and employed 280 men, 250 of them underground and 30 on the outside.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 666-667; Bureau of Statistics, Agriculture and Immigration, A Review of the Resources and Industries of Washington 1905 (Olympia: C. W. Gorham Public Printers, 1905), 13.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You